Heavy weight low reps vs lighter weight more reps

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Heavy weight low reps vs lighter weight more reps

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi, I’m Michael and new here, I’m only 17 and have been on and off weight training for about a year, I’m 5’11” and 75kg, I’ve always been lean and fairly ripped but not that bulky. I have been told that Heavy weight and low reps (4-6, being the max you can push out) will add more mass and a lighter weight and more reps (10-12) will get you ripped. Is this true? I am currently doing heavy weights and 6 reps, 3-4 sets. I take whey protein, creatine monohydrate and vit B. I will be going to my local health shop at Greensy plaza soon, I want to get a new protein, new creatine, multi V, anything else you would recommend?
    Cheers
    Michael

September 20, 2006 at 5:38 am #3148

get some flaxseed oil. lighter weight and higher reps wont get you ripped, losing body fat will. the key to putting on muscle is diet, if you’re not eating enough carbs proteins and fats you won’t get anywhere, it’s taken me a long time to get that through my thick skull.

we’re a similar weight, if you want muscle eat something like this a day.

meal 1- 4 weetbix with milk, yogurt, maybe a small protein shake (i’d take calcium caseinate as it’ll stay in your system longer) + flaxseed oil and a multi v

meal 2- large tin of tuna (200 grams)

meal 3- pasta

meal 4- more tuna, more carbs, if you’re not creative or low on time have another couple of weetbix, otherwise come up with something tastier ie baked potato with stuff on it like cheese and avocado

meal 5- slab of meat, chicken/steak etc, mashed or baked potato, salad

meal 6- calcium caseinate protein shake with flaxseed oil before bed

plus your whey protein after your workout.

that diet plan is actually way under my target carb level, but it’s close to the best i can do, it takes effort to eat that much but if you want lean muscle there is the path.

PS drink 3+ litres of water a day, sleep at least 7 hours a night and get a decent program with deadlifts, squats, benchpress, and minimal machine use (free weights are the s**t.)

September 20, 2006 at 5:58 am #3149

Thanks for that, I’m going to look into flaxseed oil, i have never heard of it before. I do eat alot of food and thankfully love tuna. I have two triple layered tuna sandwhiches with lettuce, carrot, ham, cheese, cucumber and snowpeas everyother day, I’ll bump it up to everyday shortly. I also have a very large cereal breakfast (it’s my fav meal) Normally a mix of varying cereals (unfortunately i love the ‘junk’ sugar packed cereals), I have heard alot about calcium caseinate and will definately get some, is it much more/less expensive than your common whey? Did you pick weet-bix for it’s low fat high carb content, i believe it contains mainly starch.
    Thanks again
    Michael

September 20, 2006 at 3:15 pm #3150

check out the http://www.myopure.com.au website, calcium caseinate is a little more expensive than WPC but mehhh, i don’t mind spending money on my health.

yep weet-bix for carbs, starch is present in most carb heavy foods, potatos, pasta etc, there’s nothing wrong with that is there?

ohh by the way drink milk! i’ve just started today, i’m going to aim for a litre a day, great way to add an extra 40 grams of protein a day without having to prepare food.

September 20, 2006 at 10:27 pm #3151

yeah milk is a great mass builder!, always good to have a glass before bed too…

September 21, 2006 at 2:03 am #3152

I drink full cream milk, would it be better to drink low fat or something similar. Bare in mind IMO low fat is awful.

edit: BTW I got some pills, a multi vit, vit E, B vit’s and flaxseed oil. I plan to take a multi everyday, a vit b+e every other day in inbetween the B+E days I’ll take a flaxseed oil. Sound ok?

September 21, 2006 at 2:08 am #3153

when bulking i drank heaps of full cream milk and i put on a good amount of weight in my opinion, yeah a fair bit of fat too, but i needed it as well… i hate the taste of any other fake milk… I remember reading about a program called milk and squats for building mass… back in the day apparently bodybuilders used to drink HEAPS of milk…

November 22, 2006 at 2:55 am #3154

forget high rep workouts forever and you’ll be fine. even for rehab!!

March 4, 2007 at 12:35 am #3155

a world renown powerlifter who used to own Golds Gym in Perth once told me “humans are the only animal that keeps drinking milk after puberty and milk turns little fat cows into big fat cows ” i no longer drink milk

March 4, 2007 at 9:44 pm #3156

That’s why he is a powerlifter and not a brain surgeon. Cattle stop drinking milk too. Grass is what makes them into big fat cows. Do you honestly think you would get fat if you ate grass?

March 5, 2007 at 1:15 am #3157

@Bull wrote:

That’s why he is a powerlifter and not a brain surgeon. Cattle stop drinking milk too. Grass is what makes them into big fat cows. Do you honestly think you would get fat if you ate grass?

No actually hes a smart business entrepreneur , milk has lots of carbs in it and sugar drink lots of it and you get fat, body builders in denial call it bulking up and then you have huge job later of cutting up which why Rich Gaspari likes to stay only 8 to 10lbs over his comp wait in thr pre season

March 5, 2007 at 5:28 am #3158

The problem with milk is that you get equal amounts of calories from fat and carbs. Half as many from protein.

Maybe there are some people who can tolerate this but it just packed pounds were I didn’t want ’em for me.

March 5, 2007 at 7:19 am #3159

@Dr J wrote:

The problem with milk is that you get equal amounts of calories from fat and carbs. Half as many from protein.

Maybe there are some people who can tolerate this but it just packed pounds were I didn’t want ’em for me.

and on that note i dont think thiers muchmore to say about milk its a no no

March 10, 2007 at 1:12 pm #3160

hey bmxer
    lift heavy, upto 8 reps max.eat.sleep.
    compound exercises, dont isolate.thats for people who want to shape.u wanna build chunks of muscle.as they already said, squats deads chins bench row.

before you go out to a health shop, stop and compare.i seriously urge u to go for myopure and their stuff.same protein but unflavoured.with most proteins u’ll pay less than half of what gnc and others charge.go to a shop and ur maying for advertising.

also if u want a casein(slow release protein) go for milk protein concentrate.its a concentrated form of the protein in milk(80%casein 20%whey).also it tastes better then calcium caseinate and mixes WAY better.ud probably wanna flaovour it anyway.nesquick maybe.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.