heart rate guided training (cardio)

Home / Forums / Fat loss / heart rate guided training (cardio)

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

I have a polar heart rate monitor which I started using a few days ago, I set up the usual user specs eg male, height eight and age and am trialing the ownzone option of training where it guides you through easy, moderate and hard heart rate settings during training, my max heart rate is 152 (max = 180 – age in years: 28 =152) but the monitor is reccomending I only stick between 124-136 bpm for a hard training session, if I do this I feel it’s a waste of time, a 14km ride that normally takes me 30-35mins with a good sweat up and fast breathing feels like a ride with my mum down the shops on a sunday, totally boring and weak. Is there a reason I should train well below my max 152bpm?
    I see that 75% of max BPM is good for recovery, I used the monitor all day at work driving a forklift for 12 hrs and jumping on and off it all day in a hot shed my avverage heart rate was 117bpm, would this mean that a physical job is good for recovery?
    also just for reference my usual 30-35min ride shows my heart rate peak at 175-180 and average 156ish, burns 650-750kcal at 40% fat, what is a kcal by the way?

January 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm #7685

Max heart rate sounds wrong. The rule of thumb used to be 220 less your age so it would add 40 bpm to that.

Not sure if something has changed or if Polar are pussies and they don’t want law suits arising from someone blowing a gasket.

January 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm #7686

A kcal is what we call a calorie. It turns out that the real calorie is too small so kilocalories have been called calories.

Just like talking in joules.

A physical job would be good for recovery provided that there was some good rest combined with it, imo.

January 25, 2009 at 12:14 am #7687

Bull is right heart rate is 220 – age. HR work for endurance athletes is all fine and good when you have evidence of maximal oxygen uptake and anaerobic threshold limits so you can use heart rate as an estimate of these to train at the levels you want.

For you i think it is a waste of time, stick to distance and a time for that distance you know tests you out but doesn’t overly tire you and then try and beat it each week. You will know if you are going to hard and during the ride and if you are you should drop down a notch for the rest of the ride and adjust your training accordingly. Also do not go by their calorie burning levels they are an estimate and can be very wrong a lot of the time.

Your physical job in a hot shed will also increase your heart rate due to the fact you are working in a hot shed. The heat affects your heart rate and will make it drift upwards without a significant increase in energy burning.

January 25, 2009 at 12:48 am #7688

I remember the 220 – age was a guide for sprint activities like 100m dash, swimming and bmx etc where the goal was to go hard the whole time.
    running seems to put the heart rate right through the roof, easily sits on 180 the whole time and tires me out pretty quick (10-15 mins), got a bit of work to do this year I think in that department, can easily ride for an hour if the conditions are good, not even going to try the swim yet 😯

January 25, 2009 at 2:07 am #7689

220-age is an estimate for your max heart rate so yeah it would be expected in an all out activity.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.