Good exercise for delts/traps

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Good exercise for delts/traps

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Since we’re on the general topic of hitting the traps, i came across this…

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/DBRearDeltRow.html

how effective would this be, for developing the traps and rear delt? Its compound too. Anyone been doing it?

🙂

March 10, 2006 at 7:51 am #2439

i think a lot of people call them by different names such as single arm dumbbell rows. Do them for some unilateral back work, always loved them, yet they are time consuming compared to a barbell row etc

March 10, 2006 at 8:23 am #2440

Can’t say I’ve done them like that, heres a couple of good ones.

Pit rows- Hold a pair of dumbells(50% of shrug weight) as though you were going to shrug them, then pull them up at your side as though your trying to touch your arm pits-feels funny at first. They also hit your delts.

Incline shrugs- lie face down on an incline bench with your chest just over the end and shrug the dumbells or bar up towards your ears and hold for a count of 3.

These two supersetted will give you some pain 😈

March 10, 2006 at 10:44 am #2441

I love these since you can work the lats & whole back really well (heavy dumbells) without hitting the biceps much.

March 12, 2006 at 10:53 am #2442

@strud wrote:

I love these since you can work the lats & whole back really well (heavy dumbells) without hitting the biceps much.

the one im on about, or wot ian was on about?

March 14, 2006 at 9:13 am #2443

Buff I hate em’. You can lift a shit load of weight with the exercise and even with correct form I find they don’t target anything in particular. Shoulder dumbell press, lat raises etc for delts and upright rows and shrugs for traps. The lift Ian reccomends sounds good to.

March 14, 2006 at 8:36 pm #2444

Unbuff I think I missed the original point. I like dumbell rows but I don’t find them particularly useful for trap development.

I really like upright rows for this purpose.

A good one for rear delts is reverse or bent over flyes ie while seated, lean forward and raise the dumbells with elbows bent. We’ve also got a good machine for doing these seated which isolates them well. It’s a bit like a pec deck but can be reversed.

March 14, 2006 at 9:00 pm #2445

@strud wrote:

We’ve also got a good machine for doing these seated which isolates them well. It’s a bit like a pec deck but can be reversed.

Yes, I really like this machine (and I’m not a machine fan) for rear delts as it really allows you to apply substantial load in isolation.

J

March 17, 2006 at 10:39 am #2446

Nothing beats olympic lifting for hitting the traps.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.