Full Body Weights Training

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Full Body Weights Training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys,

I’m on this site not so much as a body builder (as I’m not specifically looking to beef up) I’m purely trying to increase my athletic ability. I’ve been advised by a PTI that instead of persisting with my current training I might be better off trying a psuedo body builder style cycling of training.

At the moment I’m 18, 6’2″ and about 85kg. My aims are largely focused around muscular endurance, aerobic endurance (I can sort this bit myself) and muscular strength.

Currently I’m using a body weight only program: http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml (however I’ve bumped up the reps a bit in some areas).

Basically I’m thinking of throwing a weights session as well, maybe doing weights twice a week and body weight once a week. Cardio I’ll do on days off from (body)weight(s) training. What are peoples thoughts on this program below, keeping in mind I’m after a full body workout (designed for strength/endurance not specifically growth although to a degree they are linked) composed of compound exercises that target major muscle groups, not certain muscles in isolation.

Monday:-
    Bench Press – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Bent over row – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Military press – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Squats – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Calf raises – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Barbell curl – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Cable pushdowns – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Abs – 3 sets x Max reps

Wednesday:
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml (my modded version)

Friday:
    Bench Press – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Bent over row – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Military press – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Squats – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Calf raises – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Barbell curl – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Cable pushdowns – 3 sets x 12 reps
    Abs – 3 sets x Max reps

Now I’m a little dubious about the worth of some of the exercises in here (cable pushdowns, calf raises etc) however this is taken straight from this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844138097/202-2093057-7064626) long story short the author of this book was a hard bastard, and ex-military, so I’m not inclined to dismiss his exercises straight away. I’m aware this site is a body building one, but i wanted second opinions. I’m building my fitness for the military hence my preference to endurance/strength over size. If anyone can recommend more ‘functional’ exercises I’m all ears.

Cheers

February 20, 2006 at 11:28 am #2361

I’m hearin’ ya with the strength training. I’m now doing pretty much the same thing you are at the moment. In the weight room you want to train fast twitch fibers and out of the gym you want to try and focus on both slow and fast if possible and being in the military that shouldn’t be an issue.

I think your program is good…but, on your weight days lower your reps and push more weight focusing on being explosive on the positive movement eg BENCH: slow down on the negative and explode up on the positive. All your exercises should be compound so you’ve pretty much got that covered. I have a question for you though, how long do you spend in the gym doing that weights routine?

Oh yeah, alternate the reps on different days and weeks eg 4-8 one day and 10-15 another. This keeps the muscle guessing and will help you achieve your specific goals more effectively. πŸ˜€

February 20, 2006 at 11:37 am #2362

Hey Kris,
    Your program looks O.K.
    I agree with kinmassive that you could perhaps mix up your rep ranges. e.g Monday could be 6-8 reps and Friday could be 12-15.
    Also I would drop the cable pushdowns for either dips or close grip bench.
    You might also want alternative between bent over rows and pullups.
    You could also try Squats (Quad dominant) Monday and Friday could be Deadlifts (Hip Dominant) which would help keep things interesting.

February 20, 2006 at 1:45 pm #2363

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, you seem to have understood what I’m after so thats great. I’ll try mixing up the reps and the exercises a little (for instance squats and DL’s). It actual doesn’t take very long to do the body weight exercises, maybe 45 mins to an hour depending on the rest between sets. I like the idea of dips too, they’re a great exercise I’ll throw them in.
    Sorry for the piss poor response but I’m thinking of bed and snoozing :D, I’ll get back to you with more detail tomorrow or the day after.

February 20, 2006 at 7:33 pm #2366

Good stuff fellas, thanks. Heres the revised version.
    I’ll alternate the reps each week (monday/friday) and I’ll alternate the exercises each fortnight. Week 1 (6-8/12-15) & Week 2 (4-6/8-12) courtsey of Dr J. Exercises are as follows: (everything is 3 sets)

Monday:-
    Bench Press (regular or close grip)
    Bent over rows or Pull ups
    Military press
    Squats or Deadlifts
    Calf raises
    Chin Ups (close or regular grip)
    Dips
    Situps (3 sets x Max reps) or (Abs routine from body weight workout)

Wednesday:
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml (my modded version)

Friday:
    Bench Press (regular or close grip)
    Bent over rows or Pull ups
    Military press
    Squats or Deadlifts
    Calf raises
    Chin Ups (close or regular grip)
    Dips
    Situps (3 sets x Max reps) or (Abs routine from body weight workout)

I might throw in leg presses at random just to mix up a little more, personally though I’m not a big fan of them, but exercise is exercise and they variety is the spice of life πŸ™‚

Thanks fellas.

February 20, 2006 at 7:34 pm #2367

weird for some reason my most recent post is in the middle of the thread… πŸ˜•

February 20, 2006 at 8:51 pm #2364

My ten cents.

Although Kinmassive and Chad have pretty much covered it.

Alternate rep ranges as Kinmassive suggests and you could also vary this every second week (or fortnight). Eg. 6-8 and 12-15 week 1, then 4-6 and 8-12 the following week (or fortnight).

Ditch the pushdowns and curls for arms. Then you can add pull ups as a vertical pull exercise – supinated close grip will give the biceps a good workout. And as Chad suggests dips are probably better than push downs.

J

February 20, 2006 at 8:57 pm #2365

Heres something to consider from Mr Poliquin

Today’s training tip comes from Charles Poliquin:

Leg Press vs. Squat

When comparing squats against leg press, squats are far more effective in increasing overall strength. However, there’s some evidence to suggest that the leg press might result in more hypertrophy of the quadriceps. One study showed that for the same number of reps, the leg press resulted in a higher amount of GH being produced than squats. As possible evidence, the leg press is the exercise of choice when it comes to speed skating, and I’ve personally worked with speed skaters whose legs made Tom Platz’s look like Woody Allen’s. While I’m loathe to recommend leg presses instead of squats, I merely present it as an interesting discussion point.

February 22, 2006 at 4:02 am #2368

Hi Kris,

I don’t think I can improve on the current version. That should do the job for you.

Mainly wanted to say that I was impressed with the level of knowledge and the thought that you had put into your initial question. I was thinking that you might be an athlete or something and had quite a bit of coaching behind you.

Good luck with the military.

February 22, 2006 at 7:54 pm #2369

You could always throw in some higher reps 20ish area for strength endurance work once a week. This will help with some of your endurance and strength wants.

February 23, 2006 at 1:15 am #2370

Thanks guys, I can’t claim to be any sports guru Bull πŸ˜€
    Just started looking up some info a few months ago about weight training, always helps everyone if you know what you are asking for πŸ™‚

I was contemplating higher reps, however I’ll leave them out for say two months, which will be a bit of a bulking phase then i’ll start bumping up the reps in a phase somewhat akin to a cutting phase. Thanks for the help everyone, it’s much appreciated.

February 23, 2006 at 2:33 am #2371

@IAN wrote:

Heres something to consider from Mr Poliquin

Today’s training tip comes from Charles Poliquin:

Leg Press vs. Squat

When comparing squats against leg press, squats are far more effective in increasing overall strength. However, there’s some evidence to suggest that the leg press might result in more hypertrophy of the quadriceps. One study showed that for the same number of reps, the leg press resulted in a higher amount of GH being produced than squats. As possible evidence, the leg press is the exercise of choice when it comes to speed skating, and I’ve personally worked with speed skaters whose legs made Tom Platz’s look like Woody Allen’s. While I’m loathe to recommend leg presses instead of squats, I merely present it as an interesting discussion point.

This is incorrect, coming straight from Mr. Incorrect As Usual Poliquin.
    For one thing, “one study” doesn’t really show anything. Next, a transient and very small increase in GH from an exercise does not make an exercise better than another. Let me repeat, if someone says Preacher curls cause 28% more testosterone to be released than barbell curls or something to the like, just say who cares because it doesn’t matter. The exact mechanisms behind muscle hypertrophy are not understood, but let me assure you a transient hormonal increase has little to nothing to do with this process. It could possibly set other processes into action, but of itself it is not really worth talking about.

As far as the speed skaters, I am willing to bet they do leg press because they do not want to risk injury to their back. Say what you will about the safety of leg press vs. squat, but more people are injured squatting than leg pressing for sure. If you are a high-caliber skater, you probably won’t squat. I certainly wouldn’t. And to top it all off, he completely discounts the fact that speed skating will certainly result in hypertrophy of the lower half, as evidenced by the fact that most speed skaters have very big legs. So, is it the leg press or the speed skating that results in their big legs? It’s primarily the speed skating, as I doubt all speed skaters do leg press or squat and they still have very big legs. Look at sprint cyclists if you have any doubts here.

Bottom line, Poliquin is stupid.

February 24, 2006 at 3:16 am #2372

It can’t be in correct it was just a comparison between the two exercises…hes not stating one is better than the other!

April 7, 2006 at 9:10 am #2373

This is my first post here
    I believe that with all the research I have read, studies I have seen conducted and years of gym training and coaching track and field that there is a greater hormonal effect and better training effect when you move you body through an exercise you are getting more benefits that just moving a weight (eg squat versus leg press, lat pulldown versus pull up etc)
    eg squats will work your back, abs, glutes plus your quads and all those inner and out thigh muscles that stablise you and help you balance.
    Because of this they are better suited to athletes as they mimic natural movements better.

I tend to disagree “As far as the speed skaters, I am willing to bet they do leg press because they do not want to risk injury to their back.” That is just bollocks they probably had a coach who had heard that squats were bad or fell into one of the following categories and got injured.

Generally only people who get injured with squats tend to fall into these categories
    1. Poor technique – carry the bar to high on their neck, round their back, allow the knees to extend past the toes etc
    2. Lift heavy to soon
    3. have poorly developed erector spinea and abdominal muscles
    4. All the above
    5. Are a complete moron and should be some locked up somewhere

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.