Full Body or Split Routines?

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Full Body or Split Routines?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone,
    After spending years on “bodybuilding” split routines and having spent the last 12 months focusing on fullbody routines and getting results, I just wanted to see what everyone else is up to along with the how’s and why’s.

December 31, 2005 at 3:47 am #2083

I use both although in my last month of dieting I’ve been doing full body twice a week, a little HIIT and some 1 hour walks. Enough to keep muscle mass, loose a little more fat and retain just a smidge of sanity.

Prior to this I’d tried Poliquins lactic acid training but the fourth week I was buggered.

J

December 31, 2005 at 4:56 am #2084

I fullbody coz u got me onto it Chad πŸ˜‰ Im getting results and just this morning i weighed myself in at 80.5kgs (i was 70kgs in july and i have put on 2″ on the waist). My arms are definetly 15″ now and those are the goals i wanted to acheive this time ’round.. I think alot of people under-estimate fullbody training and dont even give it a chance to work. I could go on, but since that 90% of people split train here ill be hearing alot of quotes going “Bullshit”

December 31, 2005 at 11:24 am #2085

Bullshit Unbuff, Bullshit!
    Fullbody is SO underrated it is not funny IMO.
    Since I got back from OS end of August I have added a solid 10kgs. Waist has gone up 2 inches, but my definition is not as bad as you would think.
    I think a good portion of that 2 inches is actually muscle (abs, and spinal erectors due to the squats), because although I am carrying more fat, I can still see the outline of my abs quite well (coming from a very average 4 pack).
    The biggest advantage of full body IMO is hormonal. The test and GH response from it helps to keep you leaner and add more muscle faster IMO.
    The other advantage is frequency. The 3 times per week normally employed, basically adds up to more muscle building stimulii per year.

People forget that muscle need stimulation, not annihilation to grow πŸ˜€

December 31, 2005 at 1:24 pm #2086

Split for me (actually 5 sessions a week dif body part each session).
    Only do whole body when coming back from time off or when too busy from work to get a proper week in (which happens more then I’d like).

But I’d agree with others here, changing it up and even doing training that you’d thought isn’t best for you often moves you forward better then you’d think.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
    FormerOne.

December 31, 2005 at 8:59 pm #2087

The answer will always be the same, mix it up and you will grow πŸ™‚ I”ve always been a split person but any method that works will always come to a standstill at 1 point or another. So do 1 month split then one month drop sets then 1 month full body and etc.. 1 routine isn’t better than 1 other…there all better than 1 πŸ˜‰

Happy New Year πŸ˜€

January 1, 2006 at 8:07 am #2088

I have been using various splits for over 10 years. I have no idea how anyone could maintain intensity over a full body workout. Plenty of people training like it though.

January 2, 2006 at 12:44 am #2089

@Bull wrote:

I have been using various splits for over 10 years. I have no idea how anyone could maintain intensity over a full body workout. Plenty of people training like it though.

I must agree with you bull, Im bloody knackered by the time I’m on my third bodypart πŸ˜₯

January 2, 2006 at 5:39 am #2090

@FormerOne wrote:

Split for me
    Only do whole body when coming back from time off or when too busy from work to get a proper week in (which happens more then I’d like).

I’m the same. πŸ™‚

Bull wrote:

I must agree with you bull, Im bloody knackered by the time I’m on my third bodypart

I’m the same. πŸ™‚

I use full body on starting back after a lay off, but fall back into a split about two weeks later. The reason for me is simple, I can’t possibly put 100% if I’m doing a full body.

Also the question you have to ask yourself is how do the majority of pro’s train??

January 2, 2006 at 6:00 am #2091

Also the question you have to ask yourself is how do the majority of pro’s train??[/quote]

Kinmassive, that was my next question to everyone. πŸ™‚

Surely I cannot train the same way that the genetic & drugged up pro’s do? How many guys have tried Ronnie Coleman’s arm routine and not gained a thing?

Weren’t the fullbody routines used by the “old” time bodybuilders back in the 50’s, when not many drugs were used?

I agree that the fullbody routine can be taxing, but it probably takes less sets and time to complete than a split.
    Also I found when I was splitting I would overtrain the individual muscle groups. Say for arm day, instead of being in and out of the gym in 30 minutes, I feel I should keep hammering away and it would turn into 1 hour. (You think you have made the trip to the gym so you better get the most out of it right?) Wrong

January 2, 2006 at 8:10 am #2092

Chad I don’t intend to knock the way that you train but I don’t want to look like a 1950s bodybuilder. I’m already bigger than the stats that I have seen relating to some of them.

If you’re training your whole body in 30 minutes then you must be sticking to about one exercise per group. I assume that you also have a series of different workouts that you work your way through. Any chance that you could post a brief description of your program so I can see what you are talking about?

January 2, 2006 at 11:00 am #2093

Yeah Bull you are right 1950’s is a little early. Maybe 70’s?

Also I wasn’t clear enough about the 30 minutes. I was saying that when I was using split workouts and it was arm day (which due to the size of the muscle groups & sets needed it shoud only take 30 minutes to complete) but I, like probably alot of others fall into the trap of staying longer in the gym because I felt like I was not doing enough.

All of my full body workouts take about 1 hour.

I have been following some programs written by Chad Waterbury. Brief outline of one:-

Day1
    Squats 10 x 3reps 70secs rest between sets (80% of 1rm or 6rm)
    A1)Dips 4 x 6reps
    A2)Rows 4 x 6 reps
    B1)Skullcrusher 4 x 6reps
    B2)Curls 4 x 6reps
    Leg raises

Day3
    Bench Press 10 x 3reps 60 secs rest between sets (80% of 1RM or 6RM)
    A1)Rom. deadlift 4 x 6reps
    A2) Miltary Press 4 x 6reps
    B1) Calf raise 4 x 6 reps
    B2) Upright Rows 4 x 6 reps
    French Press 4 x 6 reps

Day 5
    Chins 10 x 3 reps 70 secs rest between sets (80% of 1RM or 6RM)
    A1)Decline Bench Press 4 x 6reps
    A2)Hammer Curls 4 x 6 reps
    B1)Seat. calf Raise 4 x 6 reps
    B2) Glute/Ham Raise 4 x 6 reps
    Lunges 4 x 6reps

Note: A1/A2 & B1/B2 pairings have 60 seconds rest between each set (Perform A1-rest 60 seconds / Perform A2- rest 60 seconds / A1 etc

Follow this template for 4 weeks changing exercises every 2 weeks.

January 3, 2006 at 12:21 am #2094

Thanks mate

January 3, 2006 at 12:47 am #2095

@kinmassive wrote:

Also the question you have to ask yourself is how do the majority of pro’s train??

Yeah, but I dont stick a syringe in my glutes every day.
    There is no way that you can compare pro’s training to the rest of us. At least I cant.

I inderstand how many people question how it is possible to keep the intensity high doing fullbody.
    Actually I find it much easier. For example,once I have given my all in my 3 sets of squats, there is no way I could just keep on hammering my legs.
    They are spent, well and truly, so I move on to another bodypart.
    I find this especially valid for smaller muscle groups such as bi’s and tri’s.
    After 3 sets of chins and dips, they are cactus. How do you guys keep hammering such a small muscle for longer?

The only way i found I could do it when I used to train splits was to “hold back” on my earlier exercises.

The other thing I really like about training fullbody is that I also have a life outside the gym, and I do not miss the good old where I would train legs and then not be able to walk for three days.

I dont have that problem with fullbody.The frequency makes up for the lack of volume.

Its not for everyone, but it suits me and my goals to a “T”

January 3, 2006 at 3:22 am #2096

Its not for everyone, but it suits me and my goals to a “T”

And that’ all that matters in any case really. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.