front squats and sumos

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / front squats and sumos

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey guys,
    Anyone out there experienced with these two lifts? I have researched both of them and think I get the theory of how each one is performed. My problem is I can’t seem to get the bar to rest comfortably on my front delts. It feels like I am struggling more to keep the weight in place than actually driving it up off the floor. Any suggestions?
    Sumos are not so bad. I worry about the stress on the hip joint though ( I got bursitis in both hips doing wide squats some time ago from going too heavy too soon, doh!) Any positive or negative experiences with this lift?
    Thanks.

May 19, 2006 at 8:06 am #2664

Get one of those sponges that fit around/along the bar, it should soften the feel of it on the delts. DA

May 19, 2006 at 8:29 am #2665

As DA says, the old padding is something to try with front squats. I noticed this on a pic of Tom Platz front squatting recently.

Work out which grip works best for you. There’s the cross over grip (my pref) and a snatch type grip. You also need to be nice and upright so a block of wood under the heels might also help.

Either way, you really end up with the bar hard against the throat.

It’s probably best to start really light to learn the lift. If you do this at the end of your leg workout you might still get some bang for you buck by cranking out the reps.

J

June 21, 2006 at 12:07 am #2666

I am new to squatting, but am doing front squats with the U-bar (cambered bar?) which doesn’t have the bar pushing into the throat like the standard barbell. I find the plates under the heels help me alot.

June 21, 2006 at 8:20 am #2667

Have been doing the front squats for a while now and feel like I’m getting a handle on them. Can’t move anywhere near the weight of a back squat but am enjoying the new movement. I feel like it is beneficial not only for the legs/posterior chain but also as a bit of a ‘core strength and stabilising’ movement. I really find myself bracing hard through the abs for these. I dont think it’s a coincidence that my back squat has improved recently either.

Unfortunately don’t have a cambered bar!

June 21, 2006 at 8:56 am #2668

I’ve recently been doing some ‘Goblet’ squats which are supposed to help with squat form. They should also help with front squatting form.

I just grab a dumbbell and with both hands under the plates at end and push the DB under the chin (I guess it’s called a goblet squat because your hands form the shape of a goblet).

This forces you to stay quite upright in a natural way and I have no problem going to rock bottom while keeping proper form.

J

June 22, 2006 at 7:10 am #2669

I’ll have to give the ‘goblets’ a go! That’s a new one to me.

June 22, 2006 at 9:20 am #2670

Let me know how you go.

I can only squat to parallel before I lose lordosis but with the goblets I can keep a nice curve in my spine all the way to rock bottom.

J

June 27, 2006 at 11:51 am #2671

Front squats should be exercised on the smith machine to reap the full benefit of the movement, unless you have a thick chest to rest the bar on.

Otherwise you’ll never lift emough weight to reap the rewards of such an awesome movement.

Sumo’s, love em’. I like most heavy power type lifts and sumo’s are something different now and then.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.