Fat Loss for Summer!

Home / Forums / Fat loss / Fat Loss for Summer!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hi – long time reader, first time poster…

Here goes –

Weight: about 93kg
    Height: 187cms

Diet –

2 Egg omlete (only 1 yolk) w/ham, mushroom, fetta, spinach (not all of them just a combo)
    1 x multi
    4 x fish oil
    2 x vitamin C

Oats w/water and 1 x scoop protein

2 x rice cakes w/cottage cheese

1 x chicken or roast beef or turkey roll w salad
    1 x banana

1 x 185 tin tuna

1 x apple

Train

Shake then
    Meat w/ vegies or salad

Currently doing weights on MON, TUES, THURS, FRI (AM)

Ride to and from gym (bout a 1km each way, not far)

30min bike ride on a WED as well as sporadic cardio ofter a workout

Been lifting on and off for years, consider myself to be well proportioned and strong. I just am having a lot of trouble losing my gut… I enjoy lifting and dont want to stop! I have read a lot on this forum, but can not work out how best to lose the fat for me? I am not concerned about losing some muscle, as all I want is to trim up… Any ideas? More cardio I guess? More reps, lower weights? What supplements would help me?

October 22, 2007 at 3:02 am #5336

What is your current weight training program?

On biking to the gym cruise on the way in. On the way home you might like to try incorporating some high intensity intervals (HIIT). 30s sprints 1 minute coast then repeat. To start with time things so you can squeeze 5-6 sprints before you get home.

Abdominal fat is often related to high cortisol/stress. So meditation can help (yes) and this is also why a carbohydrate drink while training can, paradoxically help with fatloss. Better still is a proper training mix with protein and carbs.

For the rest of the time trying reducing carbs as a starting point.

October 22, 2007 at 5:16 am #5337

Yea didnt know about the stress thing??

Any suggestions re proper training mix??

I take it I can substitute the roll for a simple salad – are the oats ok??

As far as the training goes –

MON
    Chest/Tri’s

TUES
    Back/Bi’s

THURS
    Shoulders/Legs

FRI
    Whatever I feel like…!

The exact excersises change slightly, but I try to keep the same general movements…

October 22, 2007 at 7:10 am #5338
    Dr J wrote:
    Abdominal fat is often related to high cortisol/stress.
    quote]

Yep and I’m sticking with that ha ha. πŸ˜† I knew it wasn’t all that excessive amount of food I consume. πŸ˜†

October 22, 2007 at 7:17 am #5339

@kinmassive wrote:

@Dr J wrote:

Abdominal fat is often related to high cortisol/stress.
    quote]

Yep and I’m sticking with that ha ha. πŸ˜† I knew it wasn’t all that excessive amount of food I consume. πŸ˜†

Wouldn’t it be nice πŸ˜‰ Of course I’m talking about fat distribution.

October 22, 2007 at 7:22 am #5340

@Jack23 wrote:

Yea didnt know about the stress thing??

Any suggestions re proper training mix??

I take it I can substitute the roll for a simple salad – are the oats ok??

As far as the training goes –

MON
    Chest/Tri’s

TUES
    Back/Bi’s

THURS
    Shoulders/Legs

FRI
    Whatever I feel like…!

The exact excersises change slightly, but I try to keep the same general movements…

You’ve got to workout how few carbs you need to get through your day. Ditch the roll for salad with olive oil oats are okay.

You didn’t give any reps or rest intervals. For fat loss I like a simple strategy of maintaining kg lifted but reducing rest intervals in 5 s increments over workouts down to 30s maintaining total reps. So you might do 10, 10, 10 with 60s but end up with 10, 8, 8, 6, 5, 3 once you’ve worked down to 30s.

October 22, 2007 at 10:57 pm #5341

OK nice one! Thanks for the tips

I am doing what you suggested to be honest (dropping the weight with more reps), but I am supersetting the last set which I enjoy a fair bit!

Yesterday I skipped the oats and had just celery, carrots and cauliflower for a snack. Also had evening meal early, waited a while then worked out, and went to bed straight after with only a shake – this OK?

Can do the salad for lunch, easy…

PS How damaging is a skinny latte in the morning??

October 22, 2007 at 11:35 pm #5342

@Dr J wrote:

What is your current weight training program?

On biking to the gym cruise on the way in. On the way home you might like to try incorporating some high intensity intervals (HIIT). 30s sprints 1 minute coast then repeat. To start with time things so you can squeeze 5-6 sprints before you get home.

Abdominal fat is often related to high cortisol/stress. So meditation can help (yes) and this is also why a carbohydrate drink while training can, paradoxically help with fatloss. Better still is a proper training mix with protein and carbs.

For the rest of the time trying reducing carbs as a starting point.

The HIIT training does amazing stuff i have done the same sprint, jog, sprint routine as Doc has suggested it really does melt away fat. When you do HIIT it burns up lots of glycogen your body then tries to replace it by burning fat I believe. Try replacing one of your shakes with BCAA + Glutatmine + Creatine to reduce calories.

Myopure sells all 3 for a very good price. Alot cheaper than if you were to buy it prepackaged and its the same stuff.

October 22, 2007 at 11:49 pm #5343

@Jack23 wrote:

Who cares? 😈

Seriously. Measure and post your waist measurement. Then let us know how it changes. You should get it to drop a little each week. If not then diet needs adjusting.

October 23, 2007 at 3:02 am #5344

@Dr J wrote:

@Jack23 wrote:

Who cares? 😈

Seriously. Measure and post your waist measurement. Then let us know how it changes. You should get it to drop a little each week. If not then diet needs adjusting.

Depends how many sugars you put in them. but you have to treat yourself if its something you like to drink then chug away.

October 23, 2007 at 4:00 am #5345

Nah no sugars… Just enjoy a coffee in the morning!!

Also – I trained AFTER dinner last night, then had a shake and went to bed. I have now been told this is wrong? I am confused (again!)… Thought I would post it here and find the answer!

October 23, 2007 at 4:15 am #5346

the only problem with training post dinner is that the food sits in your gut and you can vomit. after your meal blood rushes from your muscles into your gut, so that could affect your performance. if you do train after dinner give it 2-3 hours

October 23, 2007 at 4:25 am #5347

Ideally, you’d train post workout shake then an hour later dinner.

But this is not alway possible. If you got to have dinner before training make it a light meal.

It’s always best to have a proper post workout shake even if you go to bed right after!

In the end you’ve just got to monitor your progress. Results speak for themselves.

October 23, 2007 at 10:32 pm #5348

Yea good point re results… Just got to see what works! The reason I am very curious regarding diet because I have been very motivated and committed for a while now and continue to feel that way. I am actually enjoying training… Simply I dont want to waste it – and want to get the diet ‘spot on’

Can anyone explain the theories behind the two schools of thought? ie Dinner before or after training – in relation to weight loss…

October 28, 2007 at 8:59 pm #5349

Hey dude,

you have to work out what you daily nutrient requirement is.

eat above that for muscle gain.
    eat under that for fat loss.

If you want to keep your muscle this fat loss will take you a very long time. In males fat is distrubted at a genetically predisposed way. The Abdominal fat is usually the last to go before or with the face.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.