during workout beverage

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / during workout beverage

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

hello
    question bout during workout.
    i was thinking about using red cordial or something during to maybe go bit harder.i see the BIG guys doing it.is it wise.im not concerned with bulking up just need more kick towards the end.
    would all that sugar make u feel a bit drained though?

August 16, 2006 at 10:37 am #2937

Whats your post workout shake? Im eating 3500cals a day and my pre and post shakes are 54gm protien and 165gm hi gi sugars (rasins, fruit, dex, juice)

The sugar in the pre shake gives me plenty of buzz to keep me going hard during my workout (also spiking insulin and lowering cortisol), so theres no need for more sugar during the workout. Look into it.

August 16, 2006 at 11:42 pm #2938

FYI

Before my workout I mix 50g of HWPI with 50g of dextrose and 50g of maltodextrin. I drink this during and immediately after.
    I have another 30g/30g/30g drink about 40 mins after my workout.

If I’m really keen I’ll have another 30g/30g/30g drink as soon as I wake on the morning after training.

I wouldn’t recommend fruit or fructose for peri-workout nutrition. The idea is to boost insulin as high as possible by getting glucose and small protein peptides into the bloodstream as quickly as possible.

Fructose is LOW GI (34). Raisins and sugar (sucrose) have a measely GI of around 65. Dextrose and maltodextrin are by far the best choices with GIs over 100!

August 17, 2006 at 7:06 am #2939

Dr J, whats up with the maltodextrim? Isnt that low GI.. almost like oats?

I like to mix up the high Gi carbs… having just plain Dextrose gives me a sore gut.

August 17, 2006 at 7:32 am #2940

Although maltodextrin is technically a complex carb (poly-saccaride) the bonds between the glucose molecules are very weak.

So you end up with maltodextrin (maltose) with a GI of 105 and glucose with a GI of 102.

The mechanism of absorption isn’t quite the same (from memory) which is why a mix works better than either on it’s own.

Another reason I prefer the mix is taste. I find dextrose to sweet and I don’t like the taste of malto on it’s own. Mixed together they’re fine for me.

J

August 19, 2006 at 9:17 am #2941

@Dr J wrote:

The mechanism of absorption isn’t quite the same (from memory) which is why a mix works better than either on it’s own.

J

Dr J, A mix of malto and dex is absorbed faster than straight dex due to the osmolity (sp?) of the mixture.

August 20, 2006 at 6:07 am #2942

@unbuff wrote:

Whats your post workout shake?

scoop full (scoop dr j provides) of hydrolysed whey isolate and 60-80gms dex with spoon of glutamine.

well ive decide to drop the idea of sugar during, iv added an extra day in my training so i dont get exhausted.

i also understand that a mix of dex and malto is better than on their own.i think im gonna get some malt when i get to coles.

thanks guys.

August 20, 2006 at 6:15 am #2943

@Andrew69 wrote:

@Dr J wrote:

J

Dr J, A mix of malto and dex is absorbed faster than straight dex due to the osmolity (sp?) of the mixture.

There you go. That sounds reasonable. 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.