Deadlifts

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Back to 5×5

I did 5×5 about a a year and half ago and made good gains (i was eatling alot and was happy being fat)

Towards the end my back got sore and i stopped dead lifting and squatting and just went to volume training.

Past year or so ive done a lot of running and just volume training except (except legs (cant run if ur legs hurt).

Thing im asking advice is if ive had a back injury in the past do you think its likely to come back if i start dead lifting again. Im gonna start around 60-80kg just to practise form?

My theory is with my shoulder being dodgy and a history of bad back odds are against me but if you dont try you dont know do you.

ATM my goals are to maintain my strength and drop about 5-10kg body fat. Then just gain lean mass. Im kinda over trying to become a human power house.

Sorry if that sounds like a ramble…..

Any queries thoughts comments etc???

Cheers

February 5, 2008 at 11:36 am #5927

All exercises have associated risks, but that said, no exercise should cause problems if form is spot on. One alternative for you is to use a trap bar for deadlifting. Takes a little pressure off the lower back, is a little more leg dominant.

February 6, 2008 at 10:53 pm #5928

If I had a dodgy back or shoulder, I’d be getting em checked out and sorted before I did anything else. You wont fix a crook back by hefting weights.
    Why aggravate something that will impact on the rest of life if you fuck it up?

But I agree with DanOz about the trap bar, its a great bit of gear and much easier on the back.

February 7, 2008 at 1:03 am #5929

Personally I think deadlifting has fixed my lower back issues… I also find if my upper back ever gets out of whack (typically from overhead pressing) then a heavy deadlitfing session can pull it all back into place.

Good form is the key – but you can’t maintain good form is you have weak points, and especially if you do reps then good conditioning of the lower back especially is important too.

Most people have relatively weak hamstrings and glutes which fucks up their deadlift form – they complain they can’t get into a good position because of inflexibility, but it’s a strength issue really. Stiff legged deadlifts (or flat back good mornings if you prefer) can fix this – really concentrating on keeping the back flat and pushing the hips back as far as possible, and then pulling the weight up with the hammies.

Poor lower back conditioning is another culprit…. your lower back gives out early and your form goes to shit… hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, and supermans are for good for high reps… you could do something like this every session for a while, then drop it back.

So if you start up your 5×5 deadlifting again, follow up each session of deads with some strengthening of the muscles involved: stiff legged deads 3×8, bentover rows 3×8, hyperextensions 3×20. You could do some extra high rep lower back training on other days too if you feel you can handle it.

You lower back is going to feel pretty hammered from doing this – recovery stuff like hot/cold showers and massage can help a lot.

Once the weights start getting heavy on the deadlift, you might want to cut back on the assistance lifts.

February 8, 2008 at 12:44 pm #5930

last post sounds like some good advices. See how it goes. If i become ‘bad sore’ (if that makes sence) ill listen to my body and try something else.

Thanks for the replys.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.