Colostrum

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Guys I am wondering if anybody else has had positive effects with Colostrum?

Over the last few years I have experimented with EVERY supplement you can think of and apart from perhaps Creatine and Glutamine they are all about as good as useless,however,colostrum is IMO worth every cent.

The difference it makes to my recovery,muscle mass and overall wellbeing is outstanding.
    I have experimented with various quantities as well as when I consume it and I have found that in doses of greater than 60gm per day divided in two doses,one before training and one before bed gives the best results.

Whilst it is expensive I can actually drop every other supplement ie.creatine,protein powder,glutamine and still get great results.

It has been surrounded in controversy over the years as many reports stated that all the growth factors were destroyed in the gut prior to digestion,but recently there are now reports emerging that that is not the case.

December 22, 2005 at 5:29 am #2059

Well that’s interesting.

All I can add is that the successful research investigating colostrum supplementation and sports performance has used relatively large doses. Ie, in the region Beetlejuice has tried.

There’s also an article around somewhere on the web stating that a reasonable number of top aussie athletes do use the stuff.

J

December 22, 2005 at 11:07 am #2061

Recent reports I have read are raising the issue of increased IGF-1 levels leading to an increased risk of breast,prostate and colon cancer and there are a number of well respected authorities now taking up the cause.particularly as the US for several years has been injecting dairy cows with rBGH which increases IGF-1 in cow milk.
    In one report I read researchers came to that conclusion,(as far as I can tell),after they went back and studied the blood of cancer victims over several years and the standout was that virtually all victims had elevated levels of IGF-1.
    From what I can ascertain they are drawing the conclusion that as IGF-1 increases cell turnover then abnormally high levels into older age can lead to a proliferation of cancer cells.
    Its got me stuffed how you can come to that conclusion just based upon that info.For instance how the hell do they know what these peoples lifestyles and eating habits were prior to succumbing to the cancer.
    For all they know these people could have been living sedentry lifestyles whilst consuming diets high in fats devoid of basic good food like fruits and vegetables, dairy fats particularly(butter) is known to be high in IGF-1.
    Did they bother to think that maybe increased IGF-1 levels could have a beneficial effect when combined with exercise and maybe,just maybe without exercise the IGF-1 may only then become potentially damaging.

Hmmmmm….seems to me like these researchers don’t think too hard!

January 8, 2006 at 7:12 am #2062

Hi All,
    From all the research I’ve read of late it seems that the growth factors are most certainly destroyed before being absorbed. No athlete on it shows elevated levels in their blood etc (and if they did it would soon be banned).
    However I do know many athletes on it that are happy with the results.
    Most seem to be taking 60grams a day and most papers seem to suggest this is the amount needed to show results.

However at the current cost 60grams to me seems excessive.

Dr J, what dosage do u recommend of your product?

I personally know a few current top elite oz athletes who are happy with the results and do take 60 grams but I was told the other day by one that it was IgG15?
    Also does anyone know the real world results, most I’ve talked to says it doesn’t increase their weight, but increases strength, recovery and general wellbeing?
    Some research suggests it boosts the immune system.
    No research I’ve read (except pseudo supplement company claims), shows the mechanisms for apparent results, does anyone here know any real research/papers that does?
    It does seem to be the current flavour of the month amongst elite athletes.
    Cheers
    FormerOne.

January 8, 2006 at 9:22 am #2063

@FormerOne wrote:

Hi All,
    Dr J, what dosage do u recommend of your product?

This is one of those products we sell were we can offer a good price for a top quality product but don’t have any strong recomendations regarding it’s use.

The only studies showing improved athletic preformance have used doses of 60 grams as you say. Recomendations for health/immune benefits are even more difficult to make. Start with 5 to 10g would seem reasonable to try and gauge if there is any benefit (although without controlled studies I’m not sure how easy that is).

I would unreservedly recommend colostrum as a bedtime supp (better than micellar casein!) – say 30g – but it would be a tad expensive!

J

January 9, 2006 at 7:24 am #2064

Do you think you can keep a cow in unit? 😆

January 9, 2006 at 7:46 am #2065

You’d need a cow with a calf!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.