Cluster training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

I tried this technique for DB shoulder presses last Saturday and it blew me away. I just loved it.

The technique is to do 1 rep, 20s rest, next rep, 20s rep, etc.

Now because I couldn’t find the DBs I wanted (Saturday!) I ended up with a weight I could probably do 5-6 reps with and started with 2 reps instead of 1. And I found a ledge at our gym where I could put the DBs down at shoulder height.

After 15 sets I had to drop to 1 rep and kept going for another 5 sets. The amazing thing was how good this felt. It got me totally pumped and I just wanted to go on and on – a bit like this rant 😉

Give it a try.

J

March 15, 2006 at 7:03 am #2479

Christian Thib’s Cluster Training was much more complex than that. He aimed at Deads in small groups of pyramids, alternated with BB floor snatches to chest height in between. Now this was a real cluster routine. Left me just about dead each time, when I did it for about 3 weeks. I gave it away because I literally ran out of energy, if I remember rightly, Thib’ demanded 1RM deads with like a +10 or 12% increase, every time. I was doomed to failure pretty quick. DA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.