Cardio and a treadmill

Home / Forums / Fat loss / Cardio and a treadmill

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys,

I just bought a treadmill so my wife and I can go for a run without having to get a baby sitter for our 3 kids πŸ˜‰

Now I have some questions about cardio for the experts here πŸ˜€
    (I’m 30 yo, pack a day smoker :()

A 3km jog on the mill at 10kph burns about 1000kj …is that right ?
      If so, doing that every day would burn 7000kj which = around 200gms fat loss per week? πŸ˜•
      What are the benefits of cardio / jogging appart from fat loss.
      Is there a down side ? Can it cause any muscle loss ?

I did 1km today without a warmup and I realised that I can’t breath (:evil: gotta give up the ciggies)
    I’m really trying to lose 1kg per week (otherwise I wont reach my target on time) but I’m not quite hitting that mark. I need to speed things up a bit but I don’t want to lose any muscle.
    Is is possible to lose 1kg per week and retain muscle ?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-John

May 1, 2006 at 12:26 pm #2647

yes 7000kJ in theory burnt from fat stores would equate to around 217g of fat. Your best training zone is submaximal training (before reaching your anaerobic threshold), for an average untrained person 9-10km/hr would be about right. This however is in theory, your diet must be right… if you are eating foods with too much energy then you will just be burning that rather than going into fat stores, average male requires around 11,000kJ from food each day. Eat more low GI carbs, do your cardio preferrably in the morning before eating.

I wouldn’t be very concerned about muscle loss, do some weights make sure your diet is ok getting carbs and protein (and some EFAs).

Do some weights, eat more frequent smaller meals etc.

May 1, 2006 at 9:35 pm #2648

Cheers for the reply.

I quit smoking yesterday (cold turkey) so hopefully I’ll slowly be able to get my lungs working again on the treadmill.

*must resist urge for morning ciggy* πŸ™„

-John

May 1, 2006 at 9:39 pm #2649

good luck with that!

May 2, 2006 at 12:12 am #2650

A couple of Pounds/ 1 Kilo per week is about standard when cutting. Iv’e noticed it does vary week to week though, sometimes less, sometimes more, so don’t get worried when it comes out less than the prescribed amount, when you do your weekly weigh-in and caliper tests. DA

May 2, 2006 at 4:49 am #2651

@Stallion wrote:

Cheers for the reply.

I quit smoking yesterday (cold turkey) so hopefully I’ll slowly be able to get my lungs working again on the treadmill.

*must resist urge for morning ciggy* πŸ™„

-John

Now that’s probably the best thing you can do!

If the going gets tough, and it will, imagine the worst case scenario if you don’t tough it out.

I like walking for fat loss but you’ve got to put in the time. The treadmill will make it easier. Don’t worry about getting all the walking done in one bout. Any time during the day that you can is fine. If you can adjust the incline do s0 once you get fitter. Intensity should be low enough so you don’t start panting.

J

May 2, 2006 at 11:59 am #2652

My legs, arms and pecs are aching and I am diing for a ciggy !!!!

On the upside I can take clean deep breaths for the first time in (God only knows how many) years.

I’ll see how I go on the mill tomorrow morning before beakfast.

Already saved $30 on smokes ! … My wife and brother-in-law have quit with me and we all look like this –>:shock: at the moment.
    Wakling around like we have no purpose and being very quiet πŸ˜€
    My appetite has also grown some backbone in the last 2 days… pitty I’m trying to lose weight not bulk πŸ˜•

It’s getting easier though…

-John

May 2, 2006 at 1:42 pm #2653

well done quitting the ciggies, best of luck with that and I hope you can stay free of them .

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.