Calculating protein intake.

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Calculating protein intake.

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

OK.
    So it seems to be generaly accepted that a good rule of thumb for protein consumption for lads trying to build muscle is in the order of 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight.
    Dose this raito take into account you body fat % or age? Or is it aimed at guys with say les than 10% bf?

Now as most us are allways searching for that balance between food intake, staying lean and building muscle, and given that fat dosn’t need protein, is there some formula we can use to assess how much protein we realy need?

It seems to me like it would be easy to over-feed on protein thinking you are doing the right thing and yet wondering why you keep getting fatter.

Another thing, anyone got a link to a site that has a breakdown of foods and their values vs weights?
    Or are you happy to just weigh out 250 grams of steak on thr o’l kitchen scales and say thats me sorted?

February 19, 2009 at 4:02 am #7788

@Dave996 wrote:

OK.
    So it seems to be generaly accepted that a good rule of thumb for protein consumption for lads trying to build muscle is in the order of 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight.
    Dose this raito take into account you body fat % or age? Or is it aimed at guys with say les than 10% bf?

I think this rule is pretty inaccurate because it does take into account body fat % – seeing as bodyfat is just dead weight it doesnt need to be accounted for….using this formula is a sure fire way to over consume protein.

Now as most us are allways searching for that balance between food intake, staying lean and building muscle, and given that fat dosn’t need protein, is there some formula we can use to assess how much protein we realy need?

This depends on many factors such as what makes up the rest of your diet, how intense you train, how often, and how much/what type of cardio you do. Everything must be like a symphony (macronutrients, minerals, rest, training etc). Its very specific to every individual.

It seems to me like it would be easy to over-feed on protein thinking you are doing the right thing and yet wondering why you keep getting fatter.

Absolutely – This is the problem 99.999999% of the time I run into people asking how to get “big and ripped”. They over consume protein, then blame carbs for making them fat…What happens then? They cut their carbs to zero or “after 1pm” and wonder why they look like shit, cant get a pump, or cant grow.

Another thing, anyone got a link to a site that has a breakdown of foods and their values vs weights?
    Or are you happy to just weigh out 250 grams of steak on thr o’l kitchen scales and say thats me sorted?

Im anal when it comes time to compete – I use a spreadsheet and everything is accounted for. Gram by gram – http://www.food.com.au is a great place to start. Very easy to punch in numbers and get some useful data.

February 19, 2009 at 7:26 am #7789

I agree with BodyTec, at some time you will have to define everything down as tight as you can get it. After learning the leasons from doing this you can quicken your whole approach and get answers from what you know works & what doesn’t.

It may be a year os so down the track, but the experience gained from the whole dissecting/bitch/contentious practise will show.

If you can generally maintain somewhere from 7 to 10% bf continuously, you are understanding most of the problem, and can fine tune from there if you want to. DA

February 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm #7790

Your Body Mass Index indicates that you are overweight.

Based on your BMI, you are overweight and should aim to reduce your weight to between 57 and 75 kg.

Losing this amount of weight will not only affect your appearance but also decreases your chances of developing many major health risks.

Overweight!! – but I can see my abs! – the bloody cheek!!

… anyway, its glandular I’ll have you know…

February 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm #7791

Ah, but bodybuilders are in an undiscovered class of people. You are rated off the charts! DA

February 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm #7792

57kg… thats a womens weight for gods sake.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.