bill starr 5×5, help

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / bill starr 5×5, help

• This topic has 6 voices and 7 replies.
  • Author

Hey guys.

I’m doing billstarrs 5×5

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-2.html#post4497774

I think its going ok so far, im in my second week, (once u hit 4th week you hit your 5RM and increase from then on) and i’ve struck a bump in the road. For anyone who knows this routine, my wednesday workout for deads looks like this, ramping sets 117×5, 138×5, 160×5 and then a final, 181×5

I feel as though its too intense leading up to my final set and I feel as though I’ve lost a lot of energy on the previous ‘ramping’ sets.

and I can only think how much more harder its going to get when it doesn’t have to be. Why do 5reps on the ramping sets, would it be ok to do 1 or 2 which I think would be a sufficient warm up.

Am I looking at it the wrong way?

April 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm #8128

UB, Why not do the structure used for 1 Rep Max testing;
    50% 8x
    70% 5x
    80% 3x
    90% 2x
    102% to 105% 1x

Except for BS 5x training, alter the 1x to your target weight & do your 5x.
    Its a really sly way to approach your target weight, without interfering with your basic strength – should work just perfecto. Or make a tougher way of doing a similar routine, by adjusting this basic structure yourself. DA

April 23, 2009 at 12:44 am #8129

@unbuff wrote:

Hey guys.

I’m doing billstarrs 5×5

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-2.html#post4497774

I think its going ok so far, im in my second week, (once u hit 4th week you hit your 5RM and increase from then on) and i’ve struck a bump in the road. For anyone who knows this routine, my wednesday workout for deads looks like this, ramping sets 117×5, 138×5, 160×5 and then a final, 181×5

I feel as though its too intense leading up to my final set and I feel as though I’ve lost a lot of energy on the previous ‘ramping’ sets.

and I can only think how much more harder its going to get when it doesn’t have to be. Why do 5reps on the ramping sets, would it be ok to do 1 or 2 which I think would be a sufficient warm up.

Am I looking at it the wrong way?

’cause then it would be UnBuffs 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 😉

I’m not familiar with this routine but it would seem it was designed so that the ramping sets are more than just a warm up. Otherwise you could warm up with decreasing number of reps.

April 23, 2009 at 9:10 am #8130

I have done that program a couple of times and I went pretty carefully both times when I was setting up the spreadsheet. It does get very taxing towards the end of the 5×5 weeks.

The good news is that when you enter the intensification phase, the pressure comes right off. The weights shoot up but the reps drop so far that it becomes a breeze.

I’d say the only reason to alter your original plan is if you think you are risking injury. It was designed to be bloody hard so if you can do it, do it. If you can’t then drop to 5×4 or 5×3 something like that. Those sets aren’t warm-ups. They are there to push you hard before the deloading.

Good luck. You have a challenging few weeks ahead of you. Just keep your wits about you so you don’t break anything.

April 23, 2009 at 9:37 am #8131

Just had another thought.

If you are going to hit the wall, it might be worth considering having a week off rather than reducing the volume. If you do then after week 3 is the place to do it.

April 23, 2009 at 9:58 am #8132

I think you would be best to lower your percentages a little to get the reps. They are not warm ups, the 5’s are your volume.
    The accumulation phase is really important for the program to be effective.

As Bull says you will reap the rewards once you get to the intensification phase.

April 24, 2009 at 10:14 am #8133

Yeah I’ve just finished the 2nd ‘deload’ week and have 1 more week to go, before I hit my 5RM max on the 4th week. Then week 5 – 9 is no mercy. Thanks for the help but I’ll stick to the program for now and see how I go. I had a whinge to a mate whos just started it with me and he’s told me to pull my socks up 😳 haha, so I’ll do that and keep everyone here posted with how I go.

PS: I’ll also be investing in wrist and a right sided shoulder brace (Right shoulder still pinches when benchng heavy 👿 ). A few weeks ago I bought myself a thick leather lifting belt which is great 8)

April 25, 2009 at 4:18 am #8134

@unbuff wrote:

PS: I’ll also be investing in wrist and a right sided shoulder brace (Right shoulder still pinches when benchng heavy 👿 ). A few weeks ago I bought myself a thick leather lifting belt which is great 8)

Get some knee wraps to…trust me. They are designed to help you. I get my bench shirt tomorrow. I’ll be wrapped and strapped every bloody where then. You need support or you will hurt yourself with doing a lot of max weights all the time.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.