Bench press technique

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Bench press technique

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys

I continually see guys in the gym on the bench press only lowering the weight halfway to their chest. I am by no means a gym expert but I was under the impression that you should be giving a full range of motion and touching the bar on your chest when training benchpress.

Can someone tell me why it is they do this and what they are missing out on by training on the bench with incorrect technique.

Thanks

October 14, 2005 at 3:32 am #1768

They have a sticking position 1/2 way up or so, or they are perfecting a better lockout.

Guys often use Iso tension techniques at sticking positions, pushing the BB against the rack pins with all their strength for a number of secs. This gives them extra strength in this area only +/- 15 degrees of the sticking position angle.

Blokes with extra long arms often suffer from this, as benching turns into an isolation arm exercise the further they get from the body. DA

October 14, 2005 at 5:52 am #1769

While Derek has a point and some could be genuinely working on something specific, I expect that they are just trying to bench more than they can handle in most cases. Ego and form are rarely used in the same sentence. 🙂 Hey I just did it.

October 15, 2005 at 3:34 am #1770

Bull said: ” I expect that they are just trying to bench more than they can handle in most cases.”

Yup thats probably it. DA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.