Bench press & pecs

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Bench press & pecs

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Not sure if anyone else has this problem.

I’m currently benching 5 sets of 5 and the and I can only just manage the 5th lift on every set. Sometimes I’ll bail on the 4th lift of the last set unless I have a spotter (I work out in the garage alone).
    Between sets of flat bench I sit up and do 10 ez-bar preacher curls.

Problem is, my pecs aren’t getting hammered. I can feel it in my triceps, but then I also manage 3×15 dips straight after the bench press and curls. πŸ˜•

What am I doing wrong ? If my triceps are the weak link why do I find dips easy?
    Should I go an buy a pec deck or just keep going till I can add more weight on the bench ?

πŸ˜•

Any ideas ?

-John

April 24, 2006 at 9:18 am #2624

I had this. Try:

Wider-then-shoulder grip.

Sets with Flatbench flyes before u Benchpress. That way your pecs and tris should fail together.

Or you can try Dumbell benchpress.

April 24, 2006 at 10:30 am #2625

try pre-warming your pecs up with a couple of light Dumbell flys or drop the weight slightly and pause for 1 second at the bottom of your bench press-making sure your pecs are stretching πŸ™‚

April 25, 2006 at 9:45 am #2626

Cheers guys.
    I tried it today and now my pecs are buggered.
    πŸ˜†

-John

April 26, 2006 at 8:14 am #2627

Using a slightly lighter weight, and the same set/rep scheme. Wide grip, elbows out, and the upper arms the same direction as the barbell – thats horizontal. Then add Rest Pauses at the end of the last 2x sets to get the rep numbers up to 5’s, otherwise you will fail. A 15 to 20 second rest pause, will allow you to complete the last few reps on each of the last few sets – safely.

Take it easy at first, to experience the amount of strength left to guage, and how many seconds rest pause to add, so you can see how many reps you can get after.

This is an excellent way to train to failure. DA

April 29, 2006 at 10:27 am #2628

Stallion,

Concentrate on squeezing the weight up. Don’t push because you are activating too much triceps, just squeeze the chest and the bar will move so keep going . There is no need to lock out bench either as long as you go close to lockout the pec has done all it can.

April 30, 2006 at 10:14 pm #2629

Try pushing your hands inwards (but without actually moving them!!!) as if attempting flys. This will help do what Bull suggests.

From Thibadeau on t-nation recently.

J

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.