Anyone want to know about MERCURY in Tuna?

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Anyone want to know about MERCURY in Tuna?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

This site calculates fish food Mercury content per week. Very handy for those who love Tuna – like me.
    http://www.gotmercury.org/index.html
    Lots of other fish in the listing also. DA

January 18, 2008 at 8:18 am #5895

What about tuna thats farmed in australia?

and is this tuna from the sea with all the mercury?

January 18, 2008 at 11:50 am #5896

Tuna is horrible crap anyway. Eat beef you suckers. πŸ˜€

January 18, 2008 at 9:43 pm #5897

You can see why shark and swordfish aren’t recommended for children.

The huge variant in levels according to type of tuna is a worry.

And even so a serve a day of the best type puts you at double the EPA recommendation (4.5 oz pd, 180 lbs).

Listen to the beef grower πŸ˜‰

January 19, 2008 at 4:55 am #5898

The only rateable Tuna is going to be Chunk-Lite, its fairly similar to other fish. I figure the manufacturer took out everything (Omega 3’s as well) to make it fat free, seems to have taken the mercury with it. DA

February 5, 2008 at 4:41 am #5899

what about mercury levels in fish oil?

sorry if thats a dumb question, but my fish oil container doesn’t say jack shit about whether its tested or not!

haha mind you its bargain basement fish oil $17.95 for 400 caps.

February 5, 2008 at 9:21 am #5900

@A-Dog wrote:

haha mind you its bargain basement fish oil $17.95 for 400 caps.

Nah, that doesn’t mean it’ll have mercury in it, that just means that the fish used for the oil come out of Lake Illawarra. πŸ˜†

February 5, 2008 at 9:26 pm #5901

I have found mecury an execelent supplyment for gaining bodyweight, the downside being all the blood rushes to my head in hot weather and to my feet in the cold……….sorry…..

February 5, 2008 at 11:10 pm #5902

mmm coal flavoured fish
    *slurp*

who needs Flameout when you can have swallow 12 caps a day for the same money πŸ˜•

February 20, 2008 at 4:42 pm #5903

… a single google search makes it all not that clear, for example this article here http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104101&catId=100406&tid=100008&p=10&title=Test%3a+Canned+tuna+(archived)

… and as tuna is both convenient, cheap, and healthy in other ways, maybe switching to beef is not the smartest thing to do.

Perhaps, anyone worried should ask for a mercury levels blood test from a GP… so if you are eating a LOT of tuna and your blood mercury levels are fine, this gives an answer to this topic. Has anyone gotten such a blood test?

February 20, 2008 at 5:04 pm #5904

… plus this link http://www.mercuryfacts.org/

… and got through the mercury calculator.

So, this seems to be a battle between greenies, and the fishing industry. Aim being to reduce demand for seafood by calling it toxic. As I said above, anybody worried, should get a blood test.

As for beef, it is good, but replacing fish with beef is probably NOT smart.

February 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm #5905

How much does a test cost? I bet its just a small part of a bigger series of tests. DA

February 21, 2008 at 11:47 pm #5906

@Dave996 wrote:

I have found mecury an execelent supplyment for gaining bodyweight, the downside being all the blood rushes to my head in hot weather and to my feet in the cold

Yeah ive found tuna an excellent source for all my mercury needs. I keep having retarded babies, but thats the price u pay for guns!

PS: I might just add, I eat around 500 – 700gms of tuna a day sometimes, ive been doing this, coz im lazy in preparing food. I had a general bloodtest last week, my doc didnt tell me anything about mercury, and my organs were all above average still.

February 22, 2008 at 6:22 am #5907

Hey Unbuff,
    The guys on a US site I visit rated that the effects would only show after continuous use over a long time, like 20 years plus. DA

February 22, 2008 at 12:15 pm #5908

I suspect the effects would not show at all… i.e. it is essentially a lie or a hoax to be concerned about mercury from tuna… UNLESS you eat like maybe 10 kg of it per week… and even then some research argues that the mercury in tuna is bound to other stuff, and so absorbs much less into the body, hence the test for mercury.

Next time I go to GP, I will ask specifically to test for mercury. I eat enough of tuna for it to show in a blood test, IF this is a REAL problem… but I suspect it is not, and all of it is spin and bull.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.