Anyone busted there rotator cuff?

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Anyone busted there rotator cuff?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Its pissing me off and I cant train anything. Ive been told from a few “professionals” that it takes 6 weeks to heal, i think im in the 3rd or 4th week and its showing no signs of getting better by then.

My practioner said i can start training again, so aslong i dont force any painful exercises.

So i thought about just doing MuscleNow, and just preexhaust muscles which require some shoulder stabilisation or use.

Any opinions?

I tryed benching str8 off the bat eariler (after warmup) and found the shoulder too vunerable. So after a wait, i did pushups till failure then benched to failure and found no pain at all. (in future ill try flys to failure instead)

opinions?

January 8, 2007 at 8:16 am #3864

i would be cautious doing bench pressing, especially if your technique resembles a bodybuilder.

Most physios provide a rehab program? follow that.

January 8, 2007 at 10:47 am #3865

I did my rotator at work. It took way longer than 6 weeks to get back to 100%.

Sorry for the bad news 😯

January 8, 2007 at 11:51 pm #3866

Your best bet would be to follow the rehab program given to you and let the injury heal completely. Otherwise, you may re-injure your rotator cuff and/or sustain a secondary injury.

I doubt bench pressing and push-ups is the best way to go about recovery. since too much horizontal pressing is known to lead to shoulder problems. That is of course if you don’t do any vertical pressing.

January 10, 2007 at 11:52 am #3867

I damaged my rhomboid quite badly which had impacts on my RC.

It took me 3-months of no weight training, 6-months no upper body training and 6-months of weekly physio/myo to get results. I would say I now have 90% strength back.

I know for a fact mine was caused from overtraining. I was doing a 1 bodypart per day split over 6 days per week with huge volumes. 6 exercises/24-sets per workout pushing as much intensity as I could spit out.

Believe me your gains will return provided you rest properly and seek attention. RC injuries can not be trained through or around.

January 11, 2007 at 1:36 am #3868

Um, not much can be done. 😯
    I remember I just tried to carry on with all exercises that didnt hurt, and that made me feel like a 100% better. DA

January 11, 2007 at 5:14 am #3869

Get on the decca that’ll fix you up mate πŸ˜€ .

I have a mate who had this injury on stena due to dry joints? Then he gave the Decca a whirl and BAM… no more pain. Apparently the juice speeds the healing process?

January 11, 2007 at 5:22 am #3870

@kinmassive wrote:

Get on the decca that’ll fix you up mate πŸ˜€ .

I have a mate who had this injury on stena due to dry joints? Then he gave the Decca a whirl and BAM… no more pain. Apparently the juice speeds the healing process?

yeh sounds right my doc was going to do it for my back but i was a bit young at the time so i just had to do rehab

January 11, 2007 at 6:10 am #3871

I saw my chiro, who also does pyhsiotherapy for sports injuries. He gave me 2 exercises to do, to help tighten the area again. That plus time is all that its going to take for it to heal.

He also said to do as much swimming as i can, so i guess im going to the olympics now πŸ™‚

Blueboy: what do u mean by 90% strength? is it just weaker? or do u still have discomfort when u train?

Ive learned to deal with the time off and do other things, im just worried that i wont ever be able to train again.

January 11, 2007 at 7:16 am #3872

@unbuff wrote:

I saw my chiro, who also does pyhsiotherapy for sports injuries. He gave me 2 exercises to do, to help tighten the area again. That plus time is all that its going to take for it to heal.

He also said to do as much swimming as i can, so i guess im going to the olympics now πŸ™‚

Blueboy: what do u mean by 90% strength? is it just weaker? or do u still have discomfort when u train?

Ive learned to deal with the time off and do other things, im just worried that i wont ever be able to train again.

Thats decent advice, although I didnt know swimming was good for RC injuries. I suggest if you treat that cautiously.

In regards to my RC, I can still feel a slight impingement on certain lifts (mainly overhead pressing exercises). I do find that it reduces when I am fully warmed up. Thats probably the most important thing when returning from injury – a proper warm up and whenever im doing any pressing movements I always do some light RC exercises before I begin.

good luck with your shoulder unbuff – take your time with it.

June 19, 2008 at 11:17 am #3873

Lots of rotation exercises.

find the meanest, dirtiest, ugliest, did i mention meanest massage therapist you can, and punch them in the face, then get them to massage your injured muscles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff

Have a look and go from there. I have trained guys out of these injuries with good success

You rotaor cuff is made up of 4 main muscles – SITS

http://www.elitefts.com/articles/article-faq/default.asp – about a third of the way down

good luck

June 23, 2008 at 3:40 am #3874

UB sorry to hear the news, I ended up with a shoulder impingment after doing max one rep bench press for a while. Went to the physio who was also an ex PT and found the reason for the impingement was the rotator muscles were lacking compared to my other muscles. All up it took about 8 months before I felt no pain in the area. This is after doing strengthaning exercises with bands. The guy i saw told me I could still train however I was not to extend in to the region where the ligament startes bearing the weight. This made sense because the ligaments are not designed to be used in lifting. So I changed my routine so the region I was lifting in only used muscle ie bench not to my chest but till my arms were parralell to the ground. This is the way I train now and I find it works really well for me. It will eventually get better but it does take a long long time. Deca probably would help but if u use it make sure u stack it with test or else the ladies won’t be impressed when nothing happens down stairs.

June 23, 2008 at 9:23 am #3875

Well Its been well over a year since it happened, and I’m happy to say I feel almost nothing in the shoulder during training or normal activities.

December 3, 2008 at 11:55 pm #3876

I noticed you had a RC injury.
    Did your therapist use any acupressure or Dry needling (acupressure) to help with the healing!?

December 4, 2008 at 1:17 am #3877

I just saw my homeopath and they did the best they could.
    Doc wanted to inject cortisol, but i passed
    Saw my trusted chiropractor and he gave me some exercises to do, which i ended up stopping as it made it worse.

I just left it, trained as normal etc and its ok. Some awkward movements like extending ladders, picking up things with arms raised etc can really aggravate it, but all in all, im coping fine and it doesn’t affect training.

I wanted to get into boxing, but those movements aggravated it also, which was disappointing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.