Any powerlifters here?

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Any powerlifters here?

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Just asking, I’d like to pick your brains a bit.

…but I think I might see the tumbleweeds roll by somehow…

April 22, 2009 at 8:33 am #8121

Fire away. I have done two meets and was asked to compete in the QLD titles so I may be ble to help.

April 24, 2009 at 12:55 am #8122

@kinmassive wrote:

Fire away. I have done two meets and was asked to compete in the QLD titles so I may be ble to help.

KM, I dont know if you adjust your training specifically for powerlifting cos I know you do the strongman bit as well. But Im sure you must know gorillas who’s sole objective is simply to kill the biggest weights in the squat, bench and deadlift and nothing more, and I suspect these would be the biggest and strongest fuckers you know.

Put it this way, Im a firm believer in the philosophy that if you focus on getting stronger rather than brining out your ‘biceps peak’, the rest will (for the most part) take care of itself, which is what these guys seem to be about.

So what has the powerlifting expereince taught you? Do you think if you started training in this fashion (I’m assuming more sets, less reps, big weights) years ago you would be bigger and stronger than you are today?

April 24, 2009 at 2:59 am #8123

I’ll give you KM’s answer:

“Damn freakin right I would be!”

April 24, 2009 at 9:18 am #8124

He’d be fat with skinny little arms like most powerlifters. 😀

Seriously now. Quite a few pro bodybuilders have come over from powerlifting so it obviously provides a great base for physique enhancement.

For strength in the real world though, I don’t think you could go past the strongman type training. Those guys don’t get to lift anything the easy way.

April 25, 2009 at 3:47 am #8125

A good balance of the two is perfect. As far as gaining a peak in your bicep, well that is specific as is just squatting etc. Yes I would have trained differently than I did know what i know now but what I will say for those interested in becoming big and strong then you must focus almost soley on the compounds 4 days per week. You would obviously add support exercises ie curls, extensions, abs etc. I would also say that most successful BB would follow a very similar approach in the off season to gain as much mass as possible.

Right now I have been training very heavy for 6 months and it has taken it’s toll on my body, seems to be taking longer to heal. In saying that my lifts have gone up to a point where a lighter day is now what my heaviest were, so there is a certain method which should be applied when strictly going for mass and strength.

I used a rugby training , method last year which was freaken awesome to get me started. This program went for the year and really gives the trainer the feel for periodisation type training. Which i believe is the ULTIMATE training style for me and would be for many others as it allows you to set goals and truly track your progress. It also allows the body a bit of a break a few times a year. Which a lot of people don’t do which leads to all sorts of dramas including….failure!

April 25, 2009 at 10:51 am #8126

Oh periodization, some nerd talk for me. Where are you getting the info for your periodization? I would suggest Periodization for Strength Sports by Bompa. If you look into how he suggests the mini cycles (weekly) you can get a lot of great progress from using his techniques.

May 5, 2009 at 10:11 am #8127

I use a lot of Curtis Dennis’s stuff BB.com. He is a very strong natural and his training methods threw 20kgs on my bench in a few weeks for a start.

Right now i am lifting fucking big weights and going pretty high for reps to so my powerlifting training has for now ceased.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.