Any one own and run a gym?

Home / Forums / All the Goss / Any one own and run a gym?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone owns a gym. I am keen on getting into the business myself and was wondering if I need to have my cert III in fitness done for insurance purposes (public liability and personal indemnity) so that my premiums would be lower.

Thanks.

May 22, 2008 at 9:31 am #6481

I do not run a gym, but, if you were to only manage the gym it would not make a difference what fitness qualifications you have. If you want to train people in your gym as well then you need the qualifications (cert IV, Ex. Physiologist qualification) to legally be able to work in their training people. If you do not have this you will not be covered by insurance.

May 22, 2008 at 10:55 am #6482

I own and run a gym, but I don’t want to give you advice beause you would be a competitor and I don’t want any more competition. Never give a sucker an even break.

😀

the above statement is false. I don’t own a gym.

May 24, 2008 at 6:36 am #6483

Thanks Dave!
    F@#k you stormtrooper! Nah.. just jokes. Which area in Sydney you in anyway?

May 24, 2008 at 6:44 am #6484

I’m in the Liverpool area..what about you?

May 24, 2008 at 7:04 am #6485

If you make sure you have some quality staff to begin with and just manage the place you will be fine. That way you could go for your cert 3 and 4 part time (really they are so simple I sat 1 of their tests for resistance training and exercise prescription and missed 1 question out of 90, if you have solid training knowledge and read up just a little on technical terms you will fly through it).

May 28, 2008 at 12:40 am #6486

@StormTrooper wrote:

I’m in the Liverpool area..what about you?

Same bro, I’m in Green Valley.
    And I agree with you, there’s way to much competition in the Livo area; Squashlands, Mounties, Catholic Club & Valley Fitness!
    One of those yours?

May 28, 2008 at 2:25 am #6487

Bro..look at the fine print..I was joking about owning a gym, but yes there is a lot of competition around our area..i train at home anyway

February 17, 2010 at 3:25 am #6488

I just opened up a personal training studio in North West Sydney, Castle Hill.

Its been a challenge going from an environment like a fitness first where clients etc were spoon fed to you to then going out on your own and having to build up a reputation.

I would only suggest doing this once you have been in the industry for a few years. Its a lot of hard work and you can still make a lot of cash in the personal training industry even just working in a larger gym chain.

Not trying to cut your dream down, because its the best decision I have ever made just make sure you have your sales skills and training methodology under control first.

February 17, 2010 at 8:54 am #6489

@SteveC wrote:

Its been a challenge going from an environment like a fitness first where clients etc were spoon fed to you to then going out on your own and having to build up a reputation.

what, your clients didn’t follow you from FF?

February 18, 2010 at 1:12 am #6490

They are not HIS clients as much as FF’s who he looks after for FF.

February 19, 2010 at 5:31 am #6491

@dave wrote:

They are not HIS clients as much as FF’s who he looks after for FF.

no reason why those clients can’t follow him?

Are all people sheep?

February 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm #6492

Ok I don’t really need to answer that sheep question do I?

Also don’t forget they have already paid money for their FF membership and also remember that FF has the best facilities money can buy (had to punch myself as I repeated their marketing crap). Basically people like big gyms where there are all these machines an fancy stuff they will never use but could one day maybe next year use. They also think “hey another trainer can take his place there are lots more that work here”. He may have had a few that followed as they were smart enough to know it is his work that gets the results and not FF’s or are not scared to break from their comfort zone. I suppose there are so many little reasons for it that they all add up to people staying where they feel comfortable. Anti-people-who-work-out-at-fitness-first over.

February 22, 2010 at 4:50 am #6493

A few followed, but as I was working in the CBD and then opened up the studio well out of the area only the clients that lived local to the new studio are the ones that stayed around.

February 22, 2010 at 7:34 am #6494

Steve you get a tick of approval for having a power rack as the main picture on your website. How long were you a trainer before you opened your own studio and also what are your qualifications?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.