An UP TO DATE UPDATE to the CLASSICAL MESS – DC Training

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / An UP TO DATE UPDATE to the CLASSICAL MESS – DC Training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

DoggCrapp’s (DC’s) routine outline, extracted from:
    http://dc-training.blogspot.com/2005/11/dogg-pound-training.htm
    Give the article a good read and see what you think?

First thing I noticed is, DC doesn’t worry about synergetics to much, to gain muscle he’s likely to throw synergetics out of the window and use the Smith Machine in various ways, as well as the Hack Machine, both having no need of balance – just violent force. Of course he does use Squats and Deadlifts to, and a whole gamut of other free weights, but his focus is on all out effort for the number of reps.

So for newcomers to DC’s routines (he states this could be an intermediate or advanced bodybuilder):

Pick either their 3 favorite exercises for each bodypart or better yet the exercises they feel will bring up their weaknesses the most. For me my chest exercises are high incline smith machine press, hammer seated flat press and slight incline smith press with hands very, very wide—-this is because I look at my physique and I feel my problem area is upper and outer pecs—that is my mechanical advantage focus. What you do is take these three exercises you have chosen and rotate them, using only one per chest workout.

Do 2-5 warmup sets up to your heaviest set and then do ONE working set (either straight set or rest paused) all out on that exercise then recover and grow and be ready again 3-4 days later. Whenever I train someone new I have them do the following –4 times training in 8 days—sometimes with straight sets. Usually with rest pause sets but we have to gauge the recovery ability first.

Day one would be Monday and would be:
    Chest
    shoulders
    triceps
    back width
    back thickness

Day two would be Wednesday and would be:
    biceps
    forearms
    calves
    hams
    quads

Day three would be Friday and would be the same as day one but with different exercises:
    chest
    shoulders
    triceps
    back width
    back thickness

(sat+sun off)

Day four would be the following Monday and would be the same as day two but with different exercises:
    biceps
    forearms
    calves
    hams
    quads

and so on Wednesday, Friday, Monday, Wednesday etc.

You’re hitting every bodypart twice in 8 days. The volume on everything is simply as many warmup sets as you need to do – to be ready for your ONE work set. That can be two warmup sets for a small muscle group or five warmup sets for a large muscle group on heavy exercise like rack deadlifts. The ONE work set is either a straight set or a rest pause set (depending on your recovery abilities again).

Doing the least amount of heavy intense training that makes you dramatically stronger (bigger) so you can recover and train that bodypart the most times in a year (frequency). If you can train/recover/GROW, train/recover/GROW, train/recover/GROW as many times as possible in a years time – you will be essentially gaining twice as fast as the bodybuilders around you.

Workout 1
    CHEST: smith incline 375 x 15 reps rest pause (RP) and a 30 second static rep at the end (then stretches)
    SHOULDERS: front smith press-330 x 13 RP and 30 second static (then stretches)
    TRICEPS: reverse grip bench press 315 for 15-20 reps RP-no static (then stretches)
    BACK WIDTH: rear rack chins to back of head 100 x 18 RP (20 second static at end)
    BACK THICKNESS: floor deadlifts a brutal straight set of 8 reps and then a heavier debilitating 4 rep one (after warmups of course) (then stretches for back)

Workout 2
    BICEPS: preacher bench barbell curl RP for 14 reps and 30 second static
    FOREARMS: hammer curls straight set for 15 reps (then stretches for biceps)
    CALVES: on hack squat straight set for 10-12 reps but with a 20 second negative phase
    HAMSTRINGS: Cybex hamstring press (pressing with heels up top) RP for 20 reps
    QUADS: hack squat –a brutal set for 10 reps (My legs are a strong bodypart and I allow people with good legs to go with one straight set only–but if your quads are playing catchup to the rest of the body, then you must do a heavy set of 4-8 reps followed after a rest by a “good god I freaking hate Doggcrapp” 20 reps set. Those quads will catch up in size pronto
    Then stretches for quads and hams.

Most trainees all think the same thing seeing how my workouts are set up – “am I doing enough?” –
    If you can show someone how to train so hard that they realize they were holding back tremendously during their 8-20 set workouts, that’s half the battle.
    The other half is making them realize how impossible it is to do 8-20 sets per bodypart if you TRULY, TRULY TRAIN BALLS to the WALL HARD.
    Personally, if I do a 20 rep hack squat with slag iron heavy weights….
    at 10 reps I am seriously doubting I am going to make it—
    at 14 reps I’m seeing colors—
    at 17 reps I’m asking God for help—
    and the last 3 reps are life, death, or rigor mortis—
    I know for a fact that there is no way in hell I could do another 4-5 sets of hacks like that.
    I gave everything I had right there on that set. If I can do another 4-5 sets like that I’m cruising at 70% at the most.

I’ll use an incline smith bench with a hypothetical weight to show you my recommended way of rest pausing.

Warmups would be 135×12 <36%>, 185×10 <50%>, 250x 6 <66.5%>, 315×4 <84%> (none of these are taxing–they are just getting me warmed up for my all out rest pause set).

MAIN REST PAUSE SET-375×8 reps (total failure) rack the weight, then 15 deep breathes and 375x 2 to 4 reps (total failure) rack the weight, then 15 deep breathes and 375x 1 to 2 reps. I personally do a static right after that but I’ll explain that later. Remember every time you go to failure you always finish on the negative portion and then have your training partner help you pull it up fast to rack the weight. To explain further on my first rest pause above I struggled with every iota of my strength to get that 8th rep up. At that point instead of racking the weight up top I brought the weight down to my chest again slowly (6 seconds) and had my training partner quickly help me lift the weight back up to the top to rack it. That “always finishing on the negative rep” will accrue more cellular damage over time and allow for even greater gains.

Every exercise is done with a controlled but explosive positive and a true controlled negative phase.

People are so driven and desperate to get big that they believe they MUST do this and MUST do that every workout. Thirty sets here, with multiple exercises to hit every angle there.
    You know what that does? It dramatically cuts into your recovery ability (never mind glycogen stores, hopefully bodyfat and maybe even catabolism of muscle mass for energy resource) so you cannot train that body part again in a couple days time. That defeats the purpose of rapid accumulation of muscle mass.

If all you get out of my articles is the mindset of
    heavy weights,
    low volume,
    stretching, and
    frequency of body parts trained –
    I would be very happy because then I would have you on the right path to get you where you want to be.

EXERCISE 1st exercise 2nd exercise 3rd exercise
    chest
    shoulder/delt
    triceps
    back width
    back thickness

EXERCISE 1st exercise 2nd exercise 3rd exercise
    biceps
    forearms
    calves
    hams
    quads

DA
    Plus on the same site lookup EXTREME STRETCHING, very worthwhile 😀

April 11, 2007 at 9:09 am #4237

I like the extreme stretching.

Otherwise, I’m not convinced this is the be all and end all of training programs.

Yes, I’ve tried it and it’s a nice break from volume style training but ….

April 11, 2007 at 11:23 pm #4238

Well I intend to have a good trial of the whole system, stretches as well.

To me from my initial read, I was impressed with how he squeezes all the routines together with his one set per exercise trick, this will leave me ready to go again in a shorter time – hence more workouts per week & more growth. DA

Unbuff! — This would spice up your routines I’m sure, and maybe stop your traditional moan about the classical mess:-
    “and has the size followed?”.

April 11, 2007 at 11:45 pm #4239

Yes, I liked it the first time I started the program. The stretching can be painful but you do make good progress with the weights.

But eventually I plateaued and got bored.

The longer I train the more I’m convinced that the secret to steady gains are in the diet and that any number of training programs will fit the weight lifting side of the equation.

My problem is it’s easy to pick a training program, follow it to the letter, track progress and make adjustments. Compared to doing the same with a diet it’s a doddle and that’s the problem (well, my problem at least).

Let us know how you go

April 12, 2007 at 8:35 am #4240

I wanna do this type training someday, but ill have to go to a gym to access machines.

DA: Yeah 🙂

April 12, 2007 at 10:36 pm #4241

Its not a bad system but as Dr J suggested its not the be all and end all, I still use the extreme stretching within my present workouts-If you aim to progress every workout almost any training system will work.

April 13, 2007 at 3:23 am #4242

Yeah well we all like to take what works and discard what doesn’t – sounds like extreme stretches are freaking excellent! DA

April 14, 2007 at 3:56 am #4243

The chest and the bicep stretch is awsome-only prob with chest one is people thinking you can’t lift the weight and try and spot you 😕

April 16, 2007 at 11:23 pm #4244

Having just done it I get your point. Still sore though 4 days later, and I didnt do it right – having forgot the inbreath/raising the chest & sternum. DA

April 17, 2007 at 4:52 am #4245

We use to have a upright chest press machine at the gym-it was perfect for this stretch-you could put the full stack on and just do negatives and your training partner could push to add resistance on the final stretch..

April 17, 2007 at 5:41 am #4246

@IAN wrote:

We use to have

I hear this everywhere, “Used to have” machines. Guys talk about those old Nautilus machines and others, that did this and that really great movement etc. The gym I use is a stripped down, never goin to make it sort of a place – Jeez I wish I could get some of those oldies. 🙁 DA

April 18, 2007 at 3:07 am #4247

I can see DA on Antiques Roadshow with an old Nautilus Bicep curl machine “So how much do you think its worth 😆 “

April 18, 2007 at 4:09 am #4248

Start low – say $5.00 with free shipping. DA

April 22, 2007 at 5:39 am #4249

ok the above link wasnt working…after researching dct on altavista i kind of understand it…i like the extreme stretching!

but yoga in the morning is magic..

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.