Always sore…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Yeah thats it, I’m always sore. Ever since I decided to really amp up the training and get into it, I am getting plagued with one injury after another!!

Admitedly I am playing rugby league so it is inevitable that I will get sore from that ie so far this year:
    – torn ligament in knee (3wks)
    – sore neck (1 wk)
    – sore legs for the 1st 3 weeks
    – aching lower back
    – aching muscles every fucken where!!!

I play prop and second row so I play a very demanding role. Any suggestions on reducing the pain or am I going to keep getting sore so long as I play??

Also, I used to love to run and could run for ages no worries. Now I hate it and am really finding it hard to do because of a few things:
    – I have gained about 8kgs since starting
    – Seem to be going backwards in the fitness area???
    – My lower back gets that stiff it’s nearly impossible to move, no matter how much I stretch.
    – My calf muscles seems to get loaded with lactic acid that won’t go away.
    – Sometimes my thighs get so pumped I can hardy move.

What the hell is going on?? I am meant to be getting fitter and more used to this type of training but each week it seems to get harder. Heres another example, in my first week of training I got to 9 in the beep test, this week I got 7…JUST!

Any ideas? πŸ˜•

Oh yeah I am training six days a week now.
    3 x weights
    2 x training
    1 x game

May 1, 2008 at 12:55 pm #6303

You need a break, maybe drop the weights completely for about 2 weeks and give your joints a rest. Cut out the running and just play rugby. After 2 weeks off ease back into training over the next 2 weeks and maybe tone it down a bit. I know it sounds bad but you seem to be slowly breaking down from over work. Also throw in A LOT of fish oil too its a great anti-inflammatory and good for your overworked joints.

How far are you running too, being a big guy can be hell on your legs. I find my calves give out quicker as I get bigger (92kg vs 105kg) so either cut down to short and medium sprints (more important for rugby anyways) or you will need to drop some weight.

May 1, 2008 at 10:17 pm #6304

Kin you are a certified NUT!! lol πŸ˜†

Sorry to tell you this, but your not a genetically altered nazi super soldier.

Yeah, I agree with dropping your bodyweight, OR dropping all the training your doing. If rugby is your thing, look into how the rugby guys train. I don’t think its possibly to bodybuild and play at the same time. PLUS you forgot about your work activity, don’t you run a business? Thats more activity load aswell.

With those injuries too, thats usually a sign.

May 2, 2008 at 12:30 am #6305

@unbuff wrote:

Kin you are a certified NUT!! lol πŸ˜†

I’ll second that πŸ˜†

But seriously, I recall Charly Poliquin’s comments about training NHL players, he said he had 11 weeks during their off season to train them big time, with full gym workouts, then stop. After that they’re only allowed simplified gym work with everything lightened up.
    “only 11 weeks to work with the athlete. For example, that’s how much time off that NHL players have to get in shape for the season”

So, first you need time off to get back on track and feel good, then consider altering your gym work to on & off season, so that you get the best from both. DA

May 2, 2008 at 3:07 am #6306

I know how this feels. Things I have learnt:-

1)Bodybuilding Type Weight Training and competitive sports dont’ mix.
    2)Only do 1 maybe 2 weight sessions a weak for non professionals.
    3)As age increases, so does the need for recovery therapies (Extra supps, massage etc)

Sounds stranges, but you are actually becoming “unfit” for your sport.

What does you current weight training schedule look like?

Basically it needs to concentrate on lighter weights being moved explosively for sets under about 5 reps.
    When using bodybuilding sets/reps, exercises & techniques you are training different types of systems. These are not suitable for this type of sport (which is one reason why you are not progressing)
    Too much volume currently maybe the other problem.

While you are competing, this is (unfortunately) no time to try and add muscle. You just want to maintain size and strength.
    As DA says the ‘Off – season” is for gaining.

May 2, 2008 at 3:33 am #6307

I would suggest 2 full body workouts aimed at power exercises and money exercises. So hit it big with the deads and squats and power cleans etc (good rest and mix up heavy and mod-heavy weights). This is for during season though. You have games and then training so you could throw in 1 more sprint-moderate sprint session (or after/before weights) a week or even a light jogging session.

When its season end then you should go back to what you normally do but ease into it.

Otherwise you are going to do something really serious and probably to your knees.

May 2, 2008 at 3:35 am #6308

Yeah point taken. I can drop the weights down to twice a week, thats fine. I am following a program designed for rugby players. So I wouldn’t say it is for weight gain, I just gain weight when i train and eat very easily.

Chad I would agree with you that i am actually becoming unfit for my sport, I don’t know why though?

Buff, I am a plumber, roofer by trade and the roofing is what is killing my back and knee’s. And yes it is my business so i tend to take that to the next level as well, can’t let the boys see me slacking off ha ha. And let me tell you I want to be that soldier, my body just won’t ‘harden the fuck up!!’ ha ha.

My supps are as follows at the moment:
    – tren 13 ethyl
    – orange triad
    – fish oil
    – CM
    – No2
    – Protein
    – L-g

I will be starting to get massages once per week from here on in because I definately agree that I need them now. I have seen my physio twice this week and he rubbed the shit outta me and today I feel great.

Dave I would love to give running the arse but I am feeling it on the field, big time! Last week I felt llike I was going to die in the middle of the field.

May 2, 2008 at 7:30 am #6309

@kinmassive wrote:

Dave I would love to give running the arse but I am feeling it on the field, big time! Last week I felt llike I was going to die in the middle of the field.

Ah KM, you’re just yearning for the good old days when props could wander from set play to set play without breaking a sweat.

Got to dash and watch the Black and Reds thrash the Sharks.

May 2, 2008 at 8:07 am #6310

Ha ha I can’t believe how different the game is to play now compared to 12yrs ago. You just don’t stop now…particularly if the opposition has targeted you to tire you out. πŸ˜₯

May 2, 2008 at 8:51 am #6311

What are you eating that has put on that 8kgs?

For you Rugby training: Retrace how you play in your mind, is it a lot of short sprints, tackles, back up and into position? If so train that way. If you were to give up on long distances and train with repeated sprints you would not tire as easily. It is pretty much a totally different energy system that you use for jogging compared to your sprints. Having an average to moderate cardiovascular fitness is important but that is all. You really want to be able to sprint and recover as quickly as possible, that is why short 10-20m, 30-50m and 100-200m sprints and short rest training would be great for you, with maybe a one day a week of 2-3km run and thats it. But if you are sore like you are now you would have to work up to being able to sustain that.

Dont forget you have an active job, so for a sit on your asser like me I could get away with your training, but you have a whole lot more workload to add on daily.

Take it easy for the next month get some physio work and massage, eat really healthy to drop a few kilos you dont need and try to work on those weak problem areas (stabilising your abs for the back for example ask your physio for more and an assessment).

We dont wanna see KM in a wheel chair for a few months and shrink down to nothing.

May 2, 2008 at 8:54 am #6312

Can’t believe that I’m going to say this but maybe the No2 actually works on you. Throw it away and the quad pumps might get better.

May 2, 2008 at 9:10 am #6313

@Bull wrote:

Can’t believe that I’m going to say this but maybe the No2 actually works on you. Throw it away and the quad pumps might get better.

Iwas actually thinking the same thing.

Dave as far as the training side is concerned, you are dead right mate thanks. I will start training like that from now on as it makes sense.

I don’t want to lose any weight right now. I measured my BF% last week and came in at 6%. So i”m in good muscular shape at the moment, best ever actually and to be honest I would rather give league the flick before I’d lose that muscle.

As far as food goes. I don’t have a diet, just a great wife who cooks great healthy food and shitloads of it. I will eat 6 times easy per day and each meal will be pretty balanced. Although lately I have been having triple cheesburger fantasies and thought I’d hoe into a couple. Beautiful…for about an hour, man I was crook after that. But I will throw in a cheat every week, sometimes every day.

May 2, 2008 at 11:43 am #6314

6% well that takes out any weight loss, stop being a tank then ;).

How often did you run and how far/long?

May 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm #6315

Before the season I would run 3 times a week for about 20-30mins. It was easy for me to do this then. When I started footy I would sprint etc and I had no drama. I missed last nights tarining and I will miss sundays game so I am hoping that will be all I need to come good. Right now I feel great again, no aches and pains bar my back where I have a recuring problem (another story).

This week I changed my program from 3 x 10-12 to 4 x 6-8. This is my final 4wks of the hypertrophy part of the program. After this I go for an 8wks strength program, all part of the same one.

As of this coming week I am definately going to start the sprint training which will include drops and rolls, because its the hits, then the run back into position thats killing me. Once I’ve got that I’ll be laughing.

May 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm #6316

If you have a good physio they should get to the bottom of your back problem and it may well help the rest of your injuries as they usually go through the chain (feet, knee, hip, back shoulder, neck. Though it can start between any of these). You may need to spend your off season working on strengthing, stretching and generally making good tissue on what ever is causing it. It may not get fixed but it should ease a lot of pain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.