aerobic fitness, normal levels of improvement?

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / aerobic fitness, normal levels of improvement?

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

howdy, I Have been riding a mountain bike to and from work each day now for about 6 weeks, when i first started I couldn’t even get 400 meters down the road without standing up on the pedals and resting my legs, but week after week I could go a bit faster and longer between pedal rests and making constant progress until the last fortnight, I have been stuck at a constant pace and degree of fitness, I thought i would be making gradual increases along the way, I always try to beat my time to work which is 14km away and takes me between 30-35mins depending on wind direction and strength, my first ride to work took me an hour and 5 minutes! I do about 130km a week and my legs are sore all the time especially the outer quads and outer calves
    Does aerobic fitness take a long time to improve or should I be seeing improvements along the way? are there any other ways for me to boost my fitness quicker?
    I am 28M 169cm and 83kg so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me, just don’t want my effort being wasted on poor exercises

January 8, 2009 at 6:33 pm #7612

You should expect modest improvements in cardio vascular fitness from week to week but like you said, you need to account for variable change………..such as wind resistance/speed/intensity etc. Where are my physics text books?? or is it maths? bah who knows.

In any case, seeing as you are riding a lot, you need to make sure your diet is sufficient to support this activity. I know you are wanting to lose weight, but you still have to eat a high amount, and quality amount of nutrients. In your case especially theres no need to be carb phobic. Are you eating enough protein to repair your legs as much as possible? How about iron?..this will help with oxygen delivery which is what you need.

Just my 0.2c

January 8, 2009 at 11:18 pm #7613

I’m not a full bottle on whats right to eat at what time so basically I just eat small and often

brekky is 2 pieces of burgen multi grain or 2/3 cup of oats and a coffee

brunch is 2 pieces of fruit

lunch is 5 rice cracker (cardboard coaster) with baked beans and tuna on top

afternoon tea is yogurt and nother piece of fruit
    and tea is chicken breast or lean red meat and vegies on a small plate

Is this enough food for fatty? I figure if I eat often I keep my metabolic rate higher and with the 30-35 minute rides to and from work at 12hrs apart I keep the metabolism high during the whole day

January 9, 2009 at 7:54 am #7614

You diet is severely lacking protein. have you not been reading the other posts properly.
    You must forget about this “so-called” snacking. Just eat proper meals every 2.5-3hrs. If you cannot do that then have a protein shake with some nuts and a banana or similar, you want to keep your body in a positive nitrogen balance and this can only be acheived by regular meals consisting of protein, not just bread and oats.

January 11, 2009 at 6:32 am #7615

cheers for the pointers. I work shift work which consists of 2x12hr days, a 24hr break and 2x12hr nights and 4 days off, I drive a forklift and am busy all the time so everything I eat needs to be super quick and on the go, not much time to sit down and read the paper during a lunch break! I struggle to eat a proper meal every 2.5-3hrs, though I have started taking protein shakes. Would one in the mid morning and one before bed be enough? and is it true that the protein in egg whites on their own can’t be processed unless you have at least one yolk per 4 egg whites? a work mate told me this last night

January 11, 2009 at 6:58 am #7616

@slugger wrote:

am busy all the time so everything I eat needs to be super quick and on the go, not much time to sit down and read the paper during a lunch break! I struggle to eat a proper meal every 2.5-3hrs, though I have started taking protein shakes. Would one in the mid morning and one before bed be enough?

it doesnt take long to eat a couple of pieces of chicken and a potato or a few rice cakes. I eat in my car all the time due to time issues – its all about being prepared and actually wanting to get the goals you are after. You gotta ask yourself how bad do you want to make a change – it takes dedication.

and is it true that the protein in egg whites on their own can’t be processed unless you have at least one yolk per 4 egg whites? a work mate told me this last night

Yes and no – the egg yolk has the amino acid “methionine” which is missing from the whites….so when you eat a whole egg it has a full spectrum of amino acids. Its a complete protein. If you want to be pedantic i guess you could put the yolk in for this reason but your mate’s argument doesnt hold any water because other sources such as chicken, fish etc arent complete proteins either but we sure as hell eat them.

When you eat a balanced variety of protein this becomes a non-issue as amino acids from other sources complete other sources if that makes sense. This is even less of an issue if you drink a couple of shakes a day as these sources are the best IMO.

January 11, 2009 at 12:28 pm #7617

Cook your egg whites too. I found a reference once that would be on here somewhere that compared the digestability of egg white cooked and raw. Cooked is much better.

January 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm #7618

awesome, so basically I can eat plenty of food through out the day and still lose weight? just cut down on sugars fats and processed carbs?
    this all sounds so weird to a beginner, I thought I had to live on tuna, rice cakes, vegetables and water going by what popular belief is!
    I better learn how to cook right now 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.