Advice and tips on my current workout

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Advice and tips on my current workout

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi, I’m 22, 5’11 & weigh 68.5kg.
    I’ve recently started working out in an effort to put on some muscle and gain a bit of strength. I’d love to get to 75kg.

Basically, I want to know if what I’m doing is correct or suitable for my goals.

Here is my Chest workout for an example:
    (I’m going for strength & size)

Flat Bench – 3 sets of 6 reps – 65kg (Assistance on last couple reps)

Decline Bench – 3 sets of 6 reps – 70kg

Dips – 2 sets of 8 reps (with 17.5kg dumbbell)

Dumbbell Flys – 3 sets of 6 reps – 15kg

Bare in mind that all weights I’m doing are as heavy as I can go to get the reps out for the moment (with a spotter for the bench)

Any advice would be appreciated

December 6, 2009 at 8:08 pm #8633

That’s it?

What about legs and back?

πŸ˜‰ J

December 6, 2009 at 11:12 pm #8634

@Dr J wrote:

That’s it?

What about legs and back?

πŸ˜‰ J

I stated that this is just my chest workout for an example. I have other workouts for legs, arms and back etc.
    I just wanted to see if what I am doing is suitable for building strength and size.
    I have heard that low reps with heavy weights are the way to go to achieve this so I thought I’d get some advice on here.
    An advice will be appreciated

Cheers πŸ˜€

December 7, 2009 at 8:20 pm #8635

Okay but legs and back are going to contribute a lot more to your strength and size than chest.

For my part a better question would have been to ask about your diet. What and how much you eat is going to be the key. Probably doesn’t matter much what program you choose as long as your eating is dialled in.

On the training side just make sure you have balance between the amount of work you do for chest and back (I’d actually do a little more for back), pushing and pulling (bench is push, row is pull or shoulder press push, pull up, er pull). No direct arms till you’ve put on a bit of beef.

Also a little more rep variety, say 3 to 12. I like the approach were you aim for total number of reps. Say Bench press, use a weight that lets you do 3 to 4 reps per set and aim for a total of 20 to 25 reps. Doesn’t matter if you end up doing one or two reps for the last sets. Then say 6 to 8 for incline press and and 8 to 12 for flys.

With this chest workout decline and dips sorta duplicate.

December 8, 2009 at 5:07 am #8636

Cheers for getting back to me.
    As far as diet, I try to consume 150g’s of protein per day plus I take a multi v and fish oil capsules.
    Because of my job I can only get to the gym around 8/8:30 on week nights so its hard for me to get a decent dinner in.
    I make sure I have a decent breakfast (eggs on toast/protein shake) and lunch (usually a ham/salad roll) and I have a protein shake mid afternoon.

I do have a back routine which involves reverse flys, seated row and pull ups but I will try it now with you total number of reps approach. πŸ˜€

I have a tri/bi routine too but I noticed you said to leave out direct arms? Could you explain why exactly?

Cheers again

December 8, 2009 at 6:51 am #8637

For beginners, the arms get enough work via other exercises.

Biceps are used in most pulling exercises, like rows and pull ups and triceps in pushing exercises, like bench and shoulder press.

Ideally, you need to do just enough work to stimulate muscle growth but not so much you can’t eat enough to keep up with the training.

J

December 11, 2009 at 7:54 am #8638

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Military Press

3 times per week – 6-9 rep range 2 sets each after warm up

Forget these huge chest only workouts

December 11, 2009 at 11:30 am #8639

^^^ u forgot to mention to up the weight by 1kilo when he hits the desired rep limit..

Oh, and don’t fail. Stop 1 rep before your completely eff’d, and record all your lifts, weight, reps etc and keep track of it.

December 14, 2009 at 8:00 am #8640

@unbuff wrote:

^^^ u forgot to mention to up the weight by 1kilo when he hits the desired rep limit..

Oh, and don’t fail. Stop 1 rep before your completely eff’d, and record all your lifts, weight, reps etc and keep track of it.

1kg, thats not much, why not up the weight by 5kg?

Why would you want to stop before failure? In order to grow you should go as hard as you can and really feel the muscle burn, just keep pushing until you feel like your going to rip the muscle off the bone.

December 14, 2009 at 8:59 am #8641

@UN Soldier wrote:

Because if he starts on a 100kilo squat, he’ll be up to 110 in 10short weeks, and continue progressing smoothly getting bigger as the months go by (and stronger)

5kilos a week is ridiculous for a natural, you’ll plateau in no time, get frustrated, and injure urself

December 14, 2009 at 9:59 am #8642

@UN Soldier wrote:

@unbuff wrote:

Why would you want to stop before failure? In order to grow you should go as hard as you can and really feel the muscle burn, just keep pushing until you feel like your going to rip the muscle off the bone.

LOL…no one needs that.

Agree with Unbuff, go up steadily maybe 1kg per session until desired rep range is reqached.
    As lomg as you progress each session you do not need to go to failure , that will lead to burn out real quick

December 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm #8643

Unless your chemically enhanced that is… Looks at UN Soldier

December 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm #8644

Also remember progression isn’t just about the weight.

Can be extra reps per set, density and, if only we could measure it, speed and acceleration.

December 15, 2009 at 8:01 am #8645

I have never been one for tiny weight increments. With an ex like bench, imo if you can do 8 or 10 at 80 then you can step up to 90 easily enough or from 120 to 130 whatever. For deads or squats I always chucked another 10 on each side.

I wasn’t progressing at weekly intervals though, just when I reached the reps.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.