a caffeine experiment

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / a caffeine experiment

  • This topic is empty.
  • Author
    Posts
  • July 16, 2009 at 10:07 am #1216

    i usually drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day (mainly due to the fact my work has it’s own barista).

    for the past month i’ve intentionally stayed off all caffeine, that’s no coffee, no red bull, nothing.

    tonight pre-workout i had one cup of espresso. SWEET JESUS – i had the most intense workout ever to the power of sick! 😈 😈

    way better than any pre-workout supp i’ve had (yes i’ve tried a few).

    so if you’re looking for a kick. stay off the coffee for a while. you’ll be surprised how your body reacts to plain old caffeine after being deprived! 8)

    July 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm #8422

    Well caffeine is a drug, and like all fun drugs, its going to be like old times, when u come back to it after a lay off πŸ˜‰

    July 16, 2009 at 9:05 pm #8423

    @mrbrutalis wrote:

    i usually drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day (mainly due to the fact my work has it’s own barista).

    for the past month i’ve intentionally stayed off all caffeine, that’s no coffee, no red bull, nothing.

    tonight pre-workout i had one cup of espresso. SWEET JESUS – i had the most intense workout ever to the power of sick! 😈 😈

    way better than any pre-workout supp i’ve had (yes i’ve tried a few).

    so if you’re looking for a kick. stay off the coffee for a while. you’ll be surprised how your body reacts to plain old caffeine after being deprived! 8)

    Now you need to workout (no pun intended) how many pre-workout coffees you can get away with. Might be worth the deprivation it was 2 or 3 times a week but …

    A great strategy for someone preparing for contests or events though.

    July 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm #8424

    Im also a big supporter of the worlds most popular pshycoactive drug. In particular I’ve found an nice strong espresso usefull before karate. Makes it easier to recall the Japanese words and numbers the instructers bark at you, and the extra spring in a real bonus.
    One odd side effect though, for me anyway, soon as I finish a cup, it’s time to go number 2, and I mean like right now..
    Anyone else find this? or am I just drinking shitty coffee……sorry

    July 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm #8425

    @unbuff wrote:

    Well caffeine is a drug, and like all fun drugs, its going to be like old times, when u come back to it after a lay off πŸ˜‰

    Care to tell us about these fun drugs UB?

    July 17, 2009 at 1:37 am #8426

    Yup – thats the one to use. DA

    Who would ever want to stop taking it for any period at all ??? DA

    July 17, 2009 at 4:34 am #8427

    @Derek Amos wrote:

    Yup – thats the one to use. DA

    Who would ever want to stop taking it for any period at all ??? DA

    Tolerance! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Tolerance_and_withdrawal

    July 17, 2009 at 10:04 am #8428

    There was a time when I didn’t drink coffe on any regular basis at all. (maybe two or three cups a year) At that stage it would fire me up big time when I did have a cup but then I couldn’t get any sleep. Not good for a pre workout when I was working out at 6 pm.

    Dave, coffee quite often upsets my stomach as well but possibly not to the same extent. Do you notice any difference if your stomach is empty or if you have a coffee with food?

    July 18, 2009 at 1:26 am #8429

    I love coffee, I have 3-4 a day when I’m at work, but on weekends maybe only 1 or 2.

    July 18, 2009 at 9:17 pm #8430

    Addict…

    I don’t have any caffeine unless I need to be awake so yeah I got a little caffeine crazy. My g/f can drink a cup and then go straight go sleep.

    July 19, 2009 at 12:32 am #8431

    I too can sleep right after a coffee, even a double shot espresso. hahahahaha

    July 19, 2009 at 5:47 am #8432

    @Dr J wrote:

    @Derek Amos wrote:

    Yup – thats the one to use. DA

    Who would ever want to stop taking it for any period at all ??? DA

    Tolerance! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Tolerance_and_withdrawal

    Is there any studies to show people are naturally, i dunno, immune to the effects of caff??

    Example, Young apprentice at work was given 2 of these energy shots, they’re sold at BP, about 3 bucks worth and are about 50mls or so of this goop, has around 150mg of caff per serve i think. Anyway, he took both at the same time, and nothing happened. He also said he can drink cans of redbull, and feels nothing. Can sleep straight after.

    July 19, 2009 at 6:18 am #8433

    Yep you can be highly tolerant and need much greater levels than normal

    July 20, 2009 at 1:08 am #8434

    @Bull wrote:

    Dave, coffee quite often upsets my stomach as well but possibly not to the same extent. Do you notice any difference if your stomach is empty or if you have a coffee with food?

    If I drink it after a meal, like fifteen or twenty minutes, no probs. With a meal, like breakfast or late in the arvo (about three or four hours after lunch) by itself, its potty time.
    But in both cases you could say its on an empty stomach, so you might be onto something.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.