8×8 Vince Gironda

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / 8×8 Vince Gironda

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hey guy’s

This is the workout I used last year to get in to shape for summer…give it a read, Its a bit different as most of Vince’s stuff was, but very good πŸ˜‰

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/tom-venuto/8-sets-of-8-1.htm

January 14, 2006 at 1:56 am #2150

After reading down as far as “You look like a Fat F*** to me”, I made a copy of it to read later, looks real great – reminds me of Poliquin’s Advanced GVT methods. Definitely the honest workout for muscle growth. DA

January 14, 2006 at 2:12 am #2151

Is the 8×8 beneficial for fellas who fullbody? I do 4 – 5 compound exercises and 2 isolations per workout, maybe the 8×8 has too much volume maybe? maybe not.

January 14, 2006 at 7:03 am #2152

@Derek Amos wrote:

After reading down as far as “You look like a Fat F*** to me”, I made a copy of it to read later, looks real great – reminds me of Poliquin’s Advanced GVT methods. Definitely the honest workout for muscle growth. DA

πŸ˜† Ha Ha πŸ˜† I did the same thing. It does look good though from what I did read. Not something to do all the time, but definately something do have a crack at for a little spice in the gym.

It does sound very painful though πŸ˜₯ πŸ˜€

January 15, 2006 at 11:23 am #2153

@unbuff wrote:

Is the 8×8 beneficial for fellas who fullbody? I do 4 – 5 compound exercises and 2 isolations per workout, maybe the 8×8 has too much volume maybe? maybe not.

You’re right unbuff, it’s way too much for a full body routine. It’s designed to be used in a split routine, and even then, it’s gonna overtrain most people quickly unless they’re extremely well conditioned. I can see the value in trying that kind of routine as a change of pace, but only for a short time unless you’re genetically way above average especially in terms of recovery ability. I’d stick with your fullbody approach, obviously it’s giving you good results and if you want to put this theory into practise, choose one of your compound movements and try the 8×8 on that for a few weeks while keeping the rest of the routine the same (maybe even drop a set or 2 from your other exercises). You’ll be able to tell quickly if it’s too much for you or not.

January 16, 2006 at 3:15 am #2154

I’ve just started it this week..its one of my favourite workouts! but on leg day oohh!! 😯

January 16, 2006 at 3:48 am #2155

Ian what does the leg routine look like, with 8×8’s spread across various (compound?) leg exercises? DA

January 16, 2006 at 4:33 am #2156

Yep! Its a killer, The main problem with this routine is working out what weight to use! So on all exercise I recomend half your 6 rep max and use this weight for the full 8×8 and adjust on your next workouts. I used a 20 second rest in between sets today…and i was dripping in sweat after 5 sets πŸ˜‰ . Just pick 3 exercises for the each muscle group.

January 16, 2006 at 9:42 am #2157

I tried chest and biceps today.

Big change in volume for me and really surprising how little weight I had to use.

J

January 19, 2006 at 4:27 am #2158

I see, its similar to GVT then, except with GVT you only choose the one exercise not 3 at once. Shivers that must be more of a killer. You’d need to make real sure of refeeding carbs PWO. DA
    Thanks for that… πŸ™‚

January 19, 2006 at 5:04 am #2159

@Derek Amos wrote:

I see, its similar to GVT then, except with GVT you only choose the one exercise not 3 at once. Shivers that must be more of a killer. You’d need to make real sure of refeeding carbs PWO. DA
    Thanks for that… πŸ™‚

From memory the rest in GVT was 3 times longer as well.

I’ve done the first two workouts from the link Ian posted and I now need two hands to drink my tea.

I don’t know if I’ve ever done tricep kick-backs but it’s probably those 3kg dbs that did the damage πŸ˜‰

Found that my weights had to be reduced big time to get through the sets.

January 19, 2006 at 5:44 am #2160

I was doing skull-crusher with 2 mighty 10lb dumbells and nearly dropped one on my head 😳

January 19, 2006 at 6:12 am #2161

@IAN wrote:

I was doing skull-crusher with 2 mighty 10lb dumbells and nearly dropped one on my head 😳

Well that makes me feel better. I did the bench press to the kneck and had to keep taking weight of the olympic bar till I was down to 5kg either side. Tris couldn’t keep up.

January 21, 2006 at 4:40 am #2162

Dr J, Why bother with the Olympic bar? just a couple of 2.5kg plates would suffice!

The secret is out now, Dr J’s a beginner really. DA

January 21, 2006 at 5:54 am #2163

Worse than a beginner.

The lady in the squat rack before me today had to take some plates off before I could begin 😳

I almost had to throw up during todays leg session but was just to busy sucking in the air.

This is a brutal workout even with relatively light weights (in my case, actual light weights).

The proof of the pudding will be in the second week πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.