6’0 – 70kg bulking with 4000 calories

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / 6’0 – 70kg bulking with 4000 calories

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

i currently weigh in at 70kg and stand 181cm, im 23 years old.
    my bodyfat is about 9%

i’m taking on a bulking program over the next 8 weeks.

would like your support over the next 8 weeks. im trying to avoid using protein supplementation. with your help i’d like to get the day-in day-out eating spot on so, when i follow it i know i only have to focus on good workouts and rest.

here’s the diet:http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3585/dietgifsl1.gif

note:
    1. breakfast is cottage cheese (500g) and rolled oats (100g)
    2. food throughout the day is 750g diced chicken breast with 750g brown rice (made with rice-cooker with 1tbsp olive oil) + 100g walnuts. this is all in one large plastic container consumed throughout the day
    3. food before bed is 6 eggs with some frozen vegetables mixed in.

that’s it. i drink 4 litres of water a day.

September 20, 2006 at 8:41 am #3161

your thoughts on the diet ?

September 20, 2006 at 9:26 am #3162

Even I would have to say that 5g of protein per kg of bodyweight is to much.

Seems to me you need more fats and more carbs especially more carbs early in the day.

All this should be spread over 6 meals not 3.

Also, in my opinion, 24% body fat is to high to start bulking at. That’s were I’d recommend finishing. Cut bf down to 9-10% and then start bulking again.

After training liquid nutrition (yes, protein powder) is more effective than whole food but any protein source is better than none.

J

September 20, 2006 at 9:33 am #3163

sorry the bodyfat percentage is 8 to 9%. im very lean. the chicken/rice is spread out over the day. eggs and oats & cottage cheese are morning/afternoon meals.

i’ve changed the diet to include less protein per kg of bodyweight. and more carbs in the morning. how does this look ?

i’ll be using 50g Hydrolysed WPI &, 100g dextrose/maltodextrin as a post workout drink.

September 20, 2006 at 10:37 am #3164

Can you eat that breakfast in a single sitting?

You should really add veggies as well as fruit to help with acid/base balance as all that protein will make the body work hard to offset acidity.

Apart from that it’s a good a starting point as any. This is a good way to try and workout what works.

Not enough variety, perhaps, for the long term but in the short term you’re trying to workout the best macronutrient ratios to get you where you want to go.

J

September 21, 2006 at 5:40 am #3165

I would suggest a lot of post workout food too. But that goes against that no protein supplementation o yours, it is probably the best way to help build muscle post workout. The post workout meals would also include a meal or even 2 or 300 or so calories after the shake, lower in fat higher in carbs and moderate in protein.

Also how do you eat all that in one sitting?

September 21, 2006 at 7:30 am #3166

@dave wrote:

…also how do you eat all that in one sitting?

That’s what I was thinking Dave.
    200g is a shitload of oats.

When I have oats for breakfast (6am) I usually have 60g (slightly boiled until thickish) topped with strawberries and about 100g lof fat yogurt.
    That and a cup of tea keeps me full for a good 3 hours ’till my next meal at 9am.

If I eat any more than that in the morning it makes me very lethargic…not a good feeling.

Maybe I’m just getting old 😥

September 22, 2006 at 1:27 am #3167

hey drj, never heard of the acid balance you’re talking about .. can you provide us with some more information ?

i should find some vegetables to add to my diet, any suggestions that i can eat raw ?

as far as eating all that food – as described above – lunch is eaten throughout the day so there is no problem there, just open the container eat a few mouthfuls .. breakfast – piece of fruit as soon as i wake, cottage cheese+oats+honey – i eat it in the car on the way to work.

September 22, 2006 at 4:26 am #3168

Because of taking 2x or more of the normal diet in protein, bodybuilders cause an excess acidity in the stomach. This can be countered by taking Glutamine or bi-carbonate of soda to help neutralise the effect. This restores the stomachs normal acid levels for digestion of food. DA
    P.S 2-5gm per meal.

September 22, 2006 at 4:54 am #3169

Damn, that is a lot of food mate!
    Personally, I would find it very, very hard to down that many cals without drinking 20-25% of them.

September 22, 2006 at 4:57 am #3170

Here’s a place to start

http://susanbrownphd.com/hot_topics/protein_bone_health.htm

And you can find a food table here

http://www.acid-base.de

And there are others around.

September 22, 2006 at 9:44 am #3171

i reweighed a few things and it seems that im only taking in 150g of oats and 400g of rice. anyway i dont think i could do 200g of oats and 600g of rice, so ill keep it at 150/400.

can someone suggest some changes to the diet ? it seems that it’s too high in protein and acidity. would prefer changes that dont require cooking. i want to keep it simple so i can make everything in the morning and stay consistent. i have no problem eating the above diet every day but i know i cant make 6 different meals for myself a day or stand around the kitchen too long

September 22, 2006 at 11:56 pm #3172

We’ve been looking at pea protein because it’s supposedly alkaline. But if you’re avoiding powders I don’t know if you could eat enough peas!

Just start with what you’ve got.

Once you’ve worked out that the diet and macronutrient ratios work you can start adding variety to the meals by, for example, preparing enough turkey/bean chili on a sunday to last the week.

The only other thing I might suggest is to ramp up calories by 500 a week from were you are now rather than just jumping right in at 4000.

J

September 23, 2006 at 4:40 am #3173

i have some glutamine and creatine. but im not sure how i should supplement with these. what powders did you have in mind ?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.