5×5

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi all. Just wondering what you think of 5×5 training? Is it a good system?I have been doing HIT Mentzer/Yates style for 2 years with good results and will start a 5×5 next week after my week off. Reason for change, I was looking for a body shocker without doing a marathon workout. My current workouts take no more than 20min max. Kids and work don’t allow any more. I have focused the 5×5 on squats,bench press and deadlifts with complimentory exercises, split over 3 days a week.I train at home with a smith machine and free weights. Strength and power are my main focus. Any comments,experiences or pointers would be good. Cheers………….

March 18, 2008 at 9:20 am #6114

You won’t do 5×5 properly in 20 minutes. You will die, or at least I would have.

It is great for power. I probably got some size from it as well but don’t do it forever. One thing that I’ve noticed about people that use 5×5 a lot is that they complain that they have bad genetics for arm development. 😀 😀

March 19, 2008 at 3:55 am #6115

Yeah I agree with Bull there with the time issue. I found that when I was on 5×5 I got really strong and that felt great but I don’t believe I gained alot in size.

One thing it did do was allow my brain to realise it could push beyond the normal weights I was lifting and the other thing it did was put a lot of strain on my joints etc which I was aware of the entire time on 5×5.

Have go at it cos it makes you feel good and allows you to push past standard boundries, but don’t make it routine. 😉

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 am #6116

Thanks for the info. The time issue can be sorted and I only intend to do it for 6-7 weeks then I will go back to what I know.I will watch the joint pain though,can do without that. I am doing it for the strength it’s supposed to give you. I will let you know how it all goes anyway. Thanks.

March 20, 2008 at 11:26 am #6117

i like 5×5, i think do it until the weights stop going up. then go back to volume training for a while and use more dumbells etc.

i also blame ‘ bad genetics’ for my girl arms…..

i will change back to volume for a while in a month or 2

March 29, 2008 at 4:16 pm #6118

What do you consider volume training? 5×5, 3 x week is 15 sets per body part – how many sets do you consider to be volume training?

March 30, 2008 at 9:16 am #6119

I think 5×5 is volume training for me.So far every workout has left me wobbling like jelly after and that deep ache hangs around for days.I think this might be a good thing.

April 1, 2008 at 2:30 pm #6120

15 sets per body part is volume training for me also – more than that would certainly interfere with recovery for me. If intensity is high, I don’t see why you would need obscene amounts of volume to stimulate growth, unless of course you are on super supplements and recovery was not an issue.

April 6, 2008 at 1:57 pm #6121

5-8 reps typically builds real muscle while 12 and upwards seems to build better glycogen storage capacity. For body builders it’s best to get both. Increasing glycogen in your muscles usually means you can lift a bit more weight (increases contractile ability).

Glycogen capacity can be noticed pretty quick in size gains, which is why if you ever hear someone say they got massive gains in 2-3 weeks (without juice) it’s all water and glycogen! It takes a while to notice what is called “dry gains” as it happens much more slowly, this is actual protein growth (increased muscle cell size and new cells). Glycogen on the other hand brings 3 grams of water with it which is why it’s a lot more noticeable size wise if you increase the storage capacity of it.

So yeah, mix it up, do low (about 6) rep sets, and top it off with a pump inducing, slightly less weight, high rep set (I go for 12-15). Or just mix routines up every few weeks like most people do. Only doing ONE or the other won’t give you the best SIZE or STRENGTH results.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.