Reply To: Intro + advice

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Intro + advice / Reply To: Intro + advice

November 6, 2009 at 2:32 am #8457

I think i am not too late to save you from making the biggest mistakes most beginners succumb to.

You have only 10 sets of real training, by which I mean the exercises that stimulate the largest muscles in the body such as Deadlifts and Squats.

By comparison you have more than 27 sets dedicated to the upper body.

For maximum overall development and to build a good base for your strength and development, there should be no isolation exercises for at least the first year of training. Tha means no curls, no tricep extensions, no shrugs.

Your biceps, delts, triceps and traps will get plenty of stimulation from the compound exercises. You can worry about the “shape” of these muscles once you have built a decent base level.

There should be at least 20 sets of the leg and lower back compound exercises, and there are plenty to choose from if you feel bored

Squats in their various forms
Leg Presses
Barbell Step-ups the bulgarian way
Deadlifts
Romanian Deadlifts
High Pulls
Glute Ham Raises (very strongly recommend these for muscle balance)

It will take you at least three or four days to recover between leg sessions if you are young, maybe longer if a bit older.

DO NOT OVERTRAIN, TRAIN SMARTER

For upper body, which can recover faster than the legs and lower back, stay with the basics for a year.

Chin Ups with weight attached or Lat Pulldowns
Heavy Rows
Upright Rows
Shoulder Press
Bench Press
Parallel Bar Dips with weight attached

EAT HEAPS TRY TO GET SOME SLEEP