Reply To: Max effort and dynamic lifting.

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Max effort and dynamic lifting. / Reply To: Max effort and dynamic lifting.

March 10, 2009 at 3:41 am #7855

@dave wrote:

I used this method as it suited my goals more than putting on size. Went from a 125kg dead to a 150kg dead very quickly, but that was about 3 years ago for a uni assignment. Found a good increase in power output. From my tests in the lab at uni it was quite a high increase over other people who did a weight lifting program, but there were lots of variables.

Personally I used light and basic versions of the olympic lifts (such as dumbbell snatches, power cleans etc) with heavy versions of cleans etc and lifts like squats and deads, with some assistance work (not much). It depends on your goals, are you going for strength, size, power or a mix and match?

Westside might not be quite the anolgy I’m looking for as I have no intention to become a competitve powerlifter, but two things that sparked my interest were the the idea that training at 90% of your 1RM session after session will lead to overtraining, which is basically what I do ( which also explains why some of my lifts have hit the wall latley ), and the way they break up training between max, dynamic and repitition days.

Because Im doing a lot more sparing at karate these days Ive been running on non weight days to build up the cardio and on top of the weights its starting to grind me down a little. So what Im after is a way to keep building strength without overcooking it to the point where everything suffers, and this type of training seems to address that issue.

So for example, say I only squat once a week.

Im thinking something like:

Week 1 max effort.

Week 2 repetition day, using barbell lunges or similar?

Week 3 dynamic.

Week 4 – back to start.

I realize this simplified to an almost infintile degree but is this the basic gist of what this style of training is about?

cheers