Reply To: where to start….complete newbie!

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / where to start….complete newbie! / Reply To: where to start….complete newbie!

January 17, 2009 at 5:04 am #7592

@slugger wrote:

mornings 05:30-06:00 start out with 2 slices of multi grain toast no butter & protein shake

How many grams of protein are you eating with your shake? Count it up using the label. Also how much carbs/fat does your powder have?

RIDE TO WORK 35-40mins

08:30-09:00 2 scrambled eggs with tomato & 2/3 cup of oats with honey

Ditch the honey. If you need to sweeten your oats use something like splenda or ‘sugarless sweetener’ which is an aussie brand.

11:30-12:00 1/2 chicken breast with veggies or fillet of hake with veggies and potatoe.

How much potato are you eating? (grams wise)
How much chicken are you eating? (grams wise)

dinner around 18:30-19:00 small plate of what ever the missus cooks up, meat, veg and pasta most common

If you have pasta or any other carb, how much will you be eating? (grams wise)

Does this diet still suit my needs or am I eating too much?

Id say its just about right for now. You will only be able to tell after youve done it for 1-2 weeks so you can see how your body has reacted. You have definitely made a huge step in the right direction.

I want to do 3 days of weight training per week and I think for this I will maybe have to cut down my bike riding a bit I think a day or two??

Not necessarily. As long as you arent in the gym for 2 hours when you train. Your new diet definitely has room for you to be lifting weights as well as riding.

Ride a long 30-40km stint inbetween on an off work day to keep the cardio up?, as my legs are sore all the time while riding to work an back each day no matter how much I stretch, it’s getting easier to ride now and still maintaing my usual pace just not feeling like I am about to have a heart attack while I do it.

Thats fine – dont need to go too crazy on cardio in the beginning. Just something you are comfortable with. If 3 days a week is fine, that will do. As you move along you can start to add in extra sessions slowly, or increase the intensity at which you ride – boy i hope they have showers at your work…………..

If I am not training with weight should I eat the same as I do on a weight training day?

Maybe cut out the last protein shake? If you dont lift regularly theres no need to be overdoing the protein either.

In 16 months my goal will be to enter this: http://www.busseltonhalf.com/
a half iron man! will 16 months of weight training hinder my endurance?

Nope – it will improve your condition in way too many ways to mention in this post. Keep it up and you will be a lot better off for it.