Home Forums Ask Ian Tendonitus

24 replies, 0 voices Last updated by Avatar SpilZ 12 years ago
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

First Post here 🙂 – Been training on and off for about 2 years.

Is there Anything that can help with tendonitus? I have it pretty bad in my left arm (Bicep/Elbow area).

I am guessing all i can do is Rest and Ice? And maybe pump some Glutamine into the body 🙂

Just wondering if you know much on this topic?

Ive only just started training again so havnt been lifting heavy weights yet and its started up again allready. Im keen to train hard again and dont want to have another break.

Any Advice?

#4703 Reply
    dave
    @dave

Yep rest, maybe some anti-inflams if it hurts too much. Eccentric only exercise (light) has been shown to help speed up recovery of tendonitis so you could try that.

#4704 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Bugger…. Im keen to get right back into training…..

#4705 Reply
    unbuff
    @unbuff

T-nation has good articles on how to battle it.

#4706 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Ok thanks will have a look.

#4707 Reply
    IAN
    @IAN

Ice- and try and select exercises that don’t make your pain any worse.

#4708 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

OK thanks…

Well i worked chest yesterday and i usually do Triceps aswell but i missed all Tricep exercises out and it feels pretty good today.

I think i might just have to cut own all arm work for a while – myabe just do some light work on “Arm Day”…

Thanks for the help.

Spilz

#4709 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Sorry if this has been a bit of a silly thing to ask about…

#4710 Reply
    dave
    @dave

concentrate on your legs (those that dont aggravate it with static holds). It will do wonders for your strength and athletic endeavours and you can still get some good training in while you heal. Also try doing the other side of your body as there will be neural carry over of strength for your other side as your tendon heals.

#4711 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Yeah thanks. I have sort of changed my training split allready.

Leg day today – Ouch!

#4712 Reply
    imported_swiz
    @imported_swiz

you can jump on legs up to three times a week if u want. They are after all half ur body weight and people dont mind jumping on upper body 3 times a week. Legs are just important. Pay them some attention and ur squat and dead may improve. while u heal of course.

i was jumping on lunges/leg press/squat/hack squat/ dead lift -stiff leg
    2wice a week and sometimes 3 on occasion when i started. Helped me a lot. it all changed when i started to incorporate the traditional deads….and lunges are always hard…no matter how frequently u train them

that was when i started though and ur an experianced trainer…

what im trying to say though is why not just concentrate on the legs for a while!

#4713 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Yeah thanks for advice…

Ive been doing them twice a week so far since im kinda hurt…

The injury feels ok today so i will work shoulders tonight.

Your right about lunges- they have to be one of the hardest exercises.. They pretty much work every bloody muscle in the leg.

#4714 Reply
    dave
    @dave

Tip: if it starts to feel ok that means its injured and you need to lay off it for 2-3 months still so you will not reinjure it. Tendons take a LONG LONG LONG time to heal and are usually hampered by not giving it enough time and reaggravating the injury. Give it a long time to heal and focus on your legs as they are MORE important than the upper limbs (deads can really bring up your traps to make you look a shit load wider too) for strength, athletics etc

#4715 Reply
    SpilZ
    @SpilZ

Yeah i get what your saying but i cant rest it that long…

But i will work legs alot more and leave all arm work out for a few more weeks 🙂

Thanks Dave

#4716 Reply
    dave
    @dave

hehehe see you say you CANT rest it that long but if you DONT it stays with you for a long LONG time. I had patella tendonitis once (jumpers knee in laymans terms) and i thought stuff it ill play basketball 2 nights a week and lift it will go soon I cant take time off… took 6-8 months to go in the end and has never healed properly so that it can now reoccur IF i dont train correctly.

Tendons are dangerous things not to take carefully they have next to no blood supply so heal extremely slow and are so important for transfer of force to your bones so really watch out for it as I wouldnt like your arm to become like my knee, it sucks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Tendonitus
Your information: