Home Forums Ask Ian Coleman (1977)

5 replies, 0 voices Last updated by Avatar imported_swiz 12 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    imported_swiz
    @imported_swiz

I have a Q?. I was wondering if you could help me answer it. It is in relation to single set systems…or 1 warm up 1 high intensity set..

I came accross this reference in my fleck n kraemer book

“Coleman AE (1977). Nautilus vs. Universal gym strength training in adult males. American Corrective Therapy Journal 31:103-107”

Type of training is ‘IT’ training weeks is 10 , training days is 3 .. or three bunches of two day lots split over 8 days (1 rest inbetween each two day lot ) with a two day rest period at the end. …2×8-10rm. 11 excersises. Weight gain is 1.7kg fat loss -9.1% in 10 weeks strength increase is supposed to be 20-30%

1977 was some time ago, was wondering if you might know of some new studies into the same subject area?

also do you know of any studies by the American College of Sports Medicine 2002 into single set systems? Ive read a bit about them in ‘Designning resistance training programs by fleck and kraemer’ but nothing in depth?

Im trying to build a full body / (maybe HIT) program for myself and am looking into single set training…

right now the only info have is that I have to lower weight stretch more do one warm up set of 5-8 reps and then one high intesity set of 15-20 reps…
    Im thinking of doing one day for upper body and abs and then one day for lower back and legs.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated?

#4567 Reply
    imported_swiz
    @imported_swiz

found this

please look at the tables … note Kraemer 1997 in table 2

http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/00/muscle_strength.cfm#table2

rem that I’m trying construct a full body workout…

#4568 Reply
    unbuff
    @unbuff

i dont want to start a shit-fight, but ull never generate enough intensity training ur entire body, even if its only 1 set.

#4569 Reply
    imported_swiz
    @imported_swiz

fair enuff.. my main worry is that I don’t want to overtrain myself

#4570 Reply
    IAN
    @IAN

There is no one system-everything will work for a while, anything new to the body will have some effect until the body adapts-then its time to try soemthing else. So by all means try Full body but its not the full story.

#4571 Reply
    imported_swiz
    @imported_swiz

Thanks Ian,

With this system I have implemented – I am finding that my strength is infact increasing, as is my local muscular endurance. The worst excersise while on it for me are lat pull downs, shoulder press with bar (db are fine) and biscep curls (prob as I leave them for the second last excersise. Im also starting to look a bit on the lean side of things although nothing dramatic.

was wondering..
    Is it a good idea to vary a program while you are on it e.g. is it a good idea to change up reps and sets every now and then to keep your body guessing? or is that just one of those myths?

#4572 Reply
    Majin
    @Majin

i do that.. im drawn between sticking out a program for 12 weeks or changing it up every 6 weeks…right now every 6-7 weeks i change my program..i also vary it a bit when i feel like it when im on it…not much though

seems to work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Coleman (1977)
Your information: